Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OBDII P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default OBDII P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak

OBDII P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak

I'm on an extension for my emissions test, and I need to get this taken care of. Clearing the code doesn't work; their system shows that it's been cleared, and then it comes back anyway.

Anyone know the cause? I do have an original factory gas cap.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Alright, I searched. Just ordered a Stant gas cap on Amazon. It should be here next week, and I'll post the result.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Y wait a week when u can get a gas cap anywhere? All the autoparts stores sell them. And if its not the gas cap, u might as well take it to a shop with a smoke machine, cause you are gonna run round in circles trying to find the leak.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

$5 for a cap from Amazon or $17 from the stealership. Didn't even think about a local store. Oh well, if the gas cap doesn't fix it, I'll be back to ask for help.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

had same problem. two different new gas caps did not solve the problem. I had the smoke machine thing done also. the only trace of some smoke found was on a part on the rear firewall area(left side as you are looking at the engine compartment standing in front of the vehicle). I do not know the part name and looked in the junkyard but could not find one. I just reset the CEL. This last a day or two and the light comes back on.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by cpttuna
had same problem. two different new gas caps did not solve the problem. I had the smoke machine thing done also. the only trace of some smoke found was on a part on the rear firewall area(left side as you are looking at the engine compartment standing in front of the vehicle). I do not know the part name and looked in the junkyard but could not find one. I just reset the CEL. This last a day or two and the light comes back on.
Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
I'm on an extension for my emissions test, and I need to get this taken care of. Clearing the code doesn't work; their system shows that it's been cleared, and then it comes back anyway.
Like I said, I've been resetting it. It comes back after 2 or 3 days, and if I take it in for inspection before then, their system shows insufficient data. I'll wait for the gas cap and if it comes back on, I guess I'll try the smoke test.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There are a number of things that can be responsible for an evap. leak.

Trying a new gas cap is definitely the first thing to do. After that, inspect all vacuum hoses related to the evap system (around canister, solenoid, etc).

If you still can't resolve, spend the $100 or so to a shop that has the specialized equipment to perform the "smoke test".

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Just an update:
I cancelled my online order and picked one up locally for $11. It's been a few days with the new gas cap, and no CEL yet. I took it up for emissions testing today, but they're closed all weekend for the holiday. I guess I'll try again on a day off next week.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 01
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem last year.No smoke machine so I put 5lbs of air on the service port.Closed the garage door and listened.Found a leak at the evap cannister in front of the rear axle.Then found one at the firewall next to the steering column.Hoses were cracked and leaked,seems that the newer hoses are cheaper,my '95 with 115K and '98 with 155K are fine,the '01 has 70K go figure
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to reset the monitors, you have to put mileage on the car. ALL sorts. Not just getting on the highway and doing 65. You have to put anywhere between 50-100 miles depending on the car. Stop and go, and highway. Don't go over 55, they will set faster. Go about 60 miles, and before you bring it in for inspection, (I'm in NY) let it sit at idle for 10 min. DON"T SHUT IT OFF. Bring it to Autozone, or Napa, or whatever big chain your around, and let them check to see that your monitors are set. IF they are, bring it right in to be inspected. AGAIN DON"T SHUT IT OFF. Depending on what the code is, cycling the key will pop a code. I do this everyday, six days a week, for the past 10 yrs.....take it as you will...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by Mycherokee96
to reset the monitors, you have to put mileage on the car. ALL sorts. Not just getting on the highway and doing 65. You have to put anywhere between 50-100 miles depending on the car. Stop and go, and highway. Don't go over 55, they will set faster. Go about 60 miles, and before you bring it in for inspection, (I'm in NY) let it sit at idle for 10 min. DON"T SHUT IT OFF. Bring it to Autozone, or Napa, or whatever big chain your around, and let them check to see that your monitors are set. IF they are, bring it right in to be inspected. AGAIN DON"T SHUT IT OFF. Depending on what the code is, cycling the key will pop a code. I do this everyday, six days a week, for the past 10 yrs.....take it as you will...
I drive 25 miles each way to work, 4-6 days a week. I was hoping their system wouldn't know the difference between 'no code' and 'no codes yet' but it did. I got the new gas cap, and it was clear for several days. Then I drilled a hole in the handle for a tether and realize I broke the seal. I'm gonna seal it with epoxy, reset it, and wait a few more days.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Pending codes will NOT cause you to fail an inspection.....
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Oh, and yes.....I do own a 94 YJ.......lol
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by Mycherokee96
Pending codes will NOT cause you to fail an inspection.....
Emissions test. P0455 is a big no-go. They told me to get it fixed.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
Emissions test. P0455 is a big no-go. They told me to get it fixed.
Have a smoke test done and save yourself a lot of headaches and time. It's probably the small rubber hoses at the rear evaporative canister near the rear axle on the drivers side (if your vehicle is like my '99.)

Quick Reply: OBDII P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak