Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OBD codes 1997 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OBD codes 1997 XJ

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post, so if I am in the wrong section I do apologize. I have a 1997 XJ that I bought as a toy, but it has been slowly bleeding my bank account dry. I now have a check engine light on, with a P0700 and P1898 code. I am having trouble finding the right info for what it is I need to repair/replace. Has anyone else had this problem? The codes are something to do with the transmission. Any input and info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Randy.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your getting the same two codes I have been fighting. Common codes for a 97 apparently. What symptoms are you getting? I've only gotten the codes as a symptom otherwise it drives perfectly. I've replaced the Solenoids, speed sensor, adjusted the tv cable, swapped the tcm's out and nothing so far. I've taken it to Eagle Transmission and the owner agrees its not the trans itself, some kind of communication error. He suggested I replace the internal wiring harness (which is only an hour worth of work) and even gave me there source for them, Trans Star in Irving texas 25-30 bucks plus shipping. This weekend I am going to clean ALL grounds, test the throttle position sensor, clean the neutral safety switch and pull out the multimeter and try and test the continuity of some of the wires. IF none of those work I'm tempted to pull another trans to tcm harness out of a jy test it clean it and install it, if that doesn't work then it HAS to be the trans which will be 250-400 for a low mileage one from LKQ then shop around for a cheap install.

Hope some of this helps you buddy!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NikoBellick
Your getting the same two codes I have been fighting. Common codes for a 97 apparently. What symptoms are you getting? I've only gotten the codes as a symptom otherwise it drives perfectly. I've replaced the Solenoids, speed sensor, adjusted the tv cable, swapped the tcm's out and nothing so far. I've taken it to Eagle Transmission and the owner agrees its not the trans itself, some kind of communication error. He suggested I replace the internal wiring harness (which is only an hour worth of work) and even gave me there source for them, Trans Star in Irving texas 25-30 bucks plus shipping. This weekend I am going to clean ALL grounds, test the throttle position sensor, clean the neutral safety switch and pull out the multimeter and try and test the continuity of some of the wires. IF none of those work I'm tempted to pull another trans to tcm harness out of a jy test it clean it and install it, if that doesn't work then it HAS to be the trans which will be 250-400 for a low mileage one from LKQ then shop around for a cheap install.

Hope some of this helps you buddy!
Did you ever get yours figured out?