Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NV231 TC Shifter Rattle Fix (cheap and a little hokey)

Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default NV231 TC Shifter Rattle Fix (cheap and a little hokey)

I had an annoying TC shifter handle rattle for a while now. Pulling up slightly on the handle stopped the rattle. To locate the source I pushed up on the torque shaft at the bracket with my finger (from underneath) and found out that the shaft was loose in the bushing and would duplicate the rattle.

There’s a kit available through dealers that replace the bronze bushing in the torque shaft bracket among other parts. I think there’s a FSB on this problem. Rather than going through the work and expense I thought I’d try this simple fix first. It worked, but I went from an occasional rattle to a full time squeak. I sprayed a good amount of WD40 on all of the pivot points and the squeak went away…at least for now. If the squeak comes back I’m going to cut the zip tie that wraps around the shaft (in front), sand any rust off, put a dab of grease on the shaft and replace the zip tie just tight enough to pull it down against the bushing, instead of yanking on it like I did when I first installed it. I suggest that you do this first.

I used a good quality 14” zip tie to go around the bracket and made sure that it was on top of the shaft behind the bracket (the shaft extends quite a ways behind the bracket), pulled it tight, then wrapped another zip tie around the shaft and around the tie on the bracket. The pic should make all this obvious.

I’m posting this here and other places for those of us who hate rattles and squeaks and are too broke and/or lazy to do it the right way. I might add that I have an NV231 TC, I don’t know if the NV242 is set up the same. OK, I’m sitting down and ready for the ha ha’s .

Roy (AKA: Weebur)
Attached Thumbnails NV231 TC Shifter Rattle Fix (cheap and a little hokey)-tc-shifter-rattle-fix.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I think its NP231 not NV231...
Old 08-25-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It could be either.

New Process, then New Venture IIRC.

Now closed in Syracuse, NY. That part I'm sure about.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I think its NP231 not NV231...
Thanks for the correction (you got me to crawl under it and check). It is a NP231 J. I'm going to try and find out when the switch was made...just for my own info.