Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS how long/hard when trying to find position?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NSS how long/hard when trying to find position?

I had the classic dirty NSS symptoms. Only would start in neutral, back up lights doing dumb things, having to juggle the shifter around to get it to turn over.

so I went ahead and took it off, and cleaned it (It was Gross! 19 years of crud and looked it)

I am currently trying to "position it" I watched the bleepinjeep youtube video and he says that you just have to adjust the whole assembly (via the bold holding it on IE loosen move tighten, try to start again).

Ive been at this for about 30 minutes moving it very slightly then tightening back down, and still no joy. Now I cannot jiggle the shifter a little and get it to crank either. (I was starting it that way). It seems like ive gone through its whole range of motion very slowly and adjusting as little as possible. Am I missing something? Or do I just need to keep repositioning, tightening and trying to start.

Should I do the paper clip bypass just to be sure that's the problem?

1996 automatic 4.0 country, 272 transfer case.

Last edited by georgiasouthernGOEAGLES!; 05-07-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by georgiasouthernGOEAGLES!
I had the classic dirty NSS symptoms. Only would start in neutral, back up lights doing dumb things, having to juggle the shifter around to get it to turn over.

so I went ahead and took it off, and cleaned it (It was Gross! 19 years of crud and looked it)

I am currently trying to "position it" I watched the bleepinjeep youtube video and he says that you just have to adjust the whole assembly (via the bold holding it on IE loosen move tighten, try to start again).

Ive been at this for about 30 minutes moving it very slightly then tightening back down, and still no joy. Now I cannot jiggle the shifter a little and get it to crank either. (I was starting it that way). It seems like ive gone through its whole range of motion very slowly and adjusting as little as possible. Am I missing something? Or do I just need to keep repositioning, tightening and trying to start.

Should I do the paper clip bypass just to be sure that's the problem?

1996 automatic 4.0 country, 272 transfer case.
There's a line from the bottom bolt through the top hole. I pulled a picture from another site with a pic of the factory diagram on aligning the switch.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Attached Thumbnails NSS how long/hard when trying to find position?-image.jpg  
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Ched has better info than me, and I haven't personally been there.

Just I hope you really "dressed/re did" those contacts well. I've cleaned things like it and missed the critical spot (sometimes recessed), the action made a dimple, or hole that didn't get cleaned going over the outer.

Always re checking to make sure you are not being tricked by something else is always good logic. Mine is different, but if you can check the rest of the circuits with a paper clip, do that. It's just grounding one wire from a relay...

Links> http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-artic...switch-rebuild
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.