Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default NSS HELP

Alright here's my problem. Damn I really thought I could get through this without posting for help. An hour or so later and a score or more f-bombs and here I am. I'm trying to pull/clean my NSS. I took the two bolts off and I can't get the damn thing off. I've used a few tips - threading the larger bolt on a bit and then using a screwdriver against the oil pan to pull, but all that's happening is i'm taking thread off.

Any other advise? I've tried to get a screwdriver around back and pull it out but it's so damn hard to get behind it and I'm worried I'm going to break something. Will it come off just as pictured? Am I missing something??

Please help, much appreciated.

E
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM

This is still in progress - please help if you can!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

If your replaceing the sensor don't worry about breaking it. You can use a ladyfoot prybar. Kind of looks like the letter "J". Just gets right behind the sensor and prys it right off. The shaft that the sensor rides on has a lip caused by tightening down the shift lever. Take a small file and carefully file that ridge down and the sensor should come off.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm really trying not to replace anything - I just want to pull it off and clean it.

Occasionally I have to put her in N to start, and my rear backup lights don't work, so I know this is the issue. Just want to clean it out. Really don't want to buy another $250 part.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Does it matter that I'm in Park?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

You can clean the contacts on the pigtail/plug and put dielectric gearse in the socket prior to reconnecting, but I that only works half the time. JY's are a good source for the part. my moto "why by new when used will do"
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah, again, I don't think I need a new part. I just want to pull this one off the damn transmission and it ain't budgin. Need help getting it off - need someone to look at the pic I posted and tell me if I need to do something with that post that's sticking out - do I need to get that out somehow? Or should it pull just like it looks in the picture?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

everything is off that is holding it in.. it just takes a little time to get it off.. you are going to have to wiggle it to fully get it off of there just be careful to not pry on one side of it too hard because you will break the shifting linkage in there.... i found this out from experience.. good thing i had more awaiting if i broke it.. just pb blaster and file down the shaft so it slides off smooth.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

That "post" center part doesn't come out. KTI Off Road » Neutral Safety Switch repair - or how to save $200 in 4h
Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

exactly.. you have to slide it off the shifter shaft.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

OK I'll keep tryin. Thanks man...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Had the same problem yesterday, ended not getting it off, sprayed a little beaver bolt buster on it yesterday and today. I think I may have broken mine, so I will keep spraying it until I can get to a JY to get one. I had to bypass it so I can drive. What a Pain in the ***, let me know how you fair.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laddie
Had the same problem yesterday, ended not getting it off, sprayed a little beaver bolt buster on it yesterday and today. I think I may have broken mine, so I will keep spraying it until I can get to a JY to get one. I had to bypass it so I can drive. What a Pain in the ***, let me know how you fair.
Not too good ... tried to screw on the retaining nut a little and pull from both sides (even force) of it with screwdrivers and ended up pulling the nut right off and stripping the thread completely off. Still wouldn't break loose, so I thought I might try bending it just a little off the shaft...and ended up breaking a tab off. Now I've got 3 tabs and no nut. Still can drive so far, but it isn't looking good as far as salvaging this thing goes ... UNLESS ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 PM

Year: 1989 2 door

I finally was able to get under my 1989 Cherokee and attempt the removal of the Neutral Safety Switch. Mine won't budge from the shaft even though I've sprayed it a few times in the past few weeks. I've researched the NSS removal and nobody has mentioned something. I have figured out why some people have a problem getting theirs off. The threaded part that the nut goes on gets clamped onto the shaft. I'm trying to figure out something thin that can get into the slots on the threaded part to twist as I hold the shaft with vise grips. If I try to put a wrench on the threaded part it will ruin the threads and hold it on the shaft more. I need something with a tooth on each side that will go into opposite slots.

Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
OAS

Year: 1997

Aerokroil.

Best penetrating oil there is.

Although...........mine came out in peices anyways.

Quick Reply: NSS HELP