Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Now that I've decided to have my motor rebuilt, i have a few general questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Now that I've decided to have my motor rebuilt, i have a few general questions.

Ok. I've never driven a brand new car. I've never had to have a motor rebuilt either.

So, my first question would be:
When i get my Jeep back, what recommendations can you guys make regarding break in driving. How should i drive it at first? How long should i allow to break it in?

Next:
With this rebuild, things like the water pump, thermostat, etc...will not be replaced. We're just rebuilding the motor. This is ok, right? If something else lets go in the future, it should be something i can fix at home. I figure, I'm on a tight budget, so I'll do what i can to get it back on the road. If something else should be immediately replaced, i can do something like that cheaper in my own garage. This line of thinking is generally safe, correct?

Do you guys have any other advice?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Why are you having the motor rebuilt? I wouldn't personally bolt back on old parts but I guess like you say it depends on your budget.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Because the piston on 5 is destroyed... I'd rather not pay out the nose just to fix that one piston, only to have the same problem elsewhere down the road. I'd rather just have it all redone now.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned

It is not that hard to replace piston, you just need to find smart enough mechanic to do that.
It is easier for mechanic (and more money) to replace engine.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Agreed. I believe the piston could be replaced with the motor still in. If you know there is no other damage I would go that route especially if you're on a budget.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Alot of this should be answered from the rebuilder as to not void his warranty dont ya think.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM

For me, right now, i think it's the best option. I happen to be pregnant, and have been depending on my OTR trucker fiance to perform any work in the Jeep. That makes things difficult when he's only home two days a week or less.

Mechanic gave me the option to just replace that piston, but honestly... The cost for that was not much less than rebuilding. I need the truck back and running again.

He wasn't crazy about not replacing the water pump, etc... But i can only do what i can afford right now. I'd love to have been able to drop a Jasper and all new parts in it, but i only have half what that would cost available to me ATM.

I really wasn't anticipating this kind of necessary vehicle repair right now.

Fact is, we did what we could at home and it was getting us nowhere. It didn't even spit metal into the pan (yes, i did personally confirm that) until it was at this shop. We had no idea what was wrong until thus point.

There's no way i could have undertaken fixing that at home right now, and again ..for the difference in price between rebuild or replacing one piston, it was worth it to just redo it all.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

I suggest to get a list of replaced parts. And come to the shop to see your engine taken apart.