Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Not the NSS, not the Ing switch???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Not the NSS, not the Ing switch???

ok I've now replaced the starter,by-passed the NSS, replaced the ing. switch, checked (with a test light) for power from the new switch all the way to the power distribution center, all along the wiring harness, switched starter relay and checked for power right down to the starter...everything lit up. All grounds are good except for the one at the back of the block to the firewall...its simply hooked on the one head bolt unsecured ( as its a washer type). I cannot find any pinch points or melted areas on any wiring harnesses. Have also tried a new batt and have pulled on the belt to make sure the engine could actually turn over.
The starter now spins and makes a clicking/grinding sound...different than when the batt is too low, its faster and harsher sounding. Both my fuel guage and oil pressure gauge are flipped over to the max and stuck there and my headlights stay on no matter what untill the batt is is disconnected. Is there a fuse under the dash I need to check or a fuseable link somewhere in the system that's toast? Is the CPU fried or something?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

how are the teeth on the flywheel?

and unfortunatly a little more info could help on the wiring problem

Last edited by N20jeep; 11-28-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 94XJ420
The starter now spins and makes a clicking/grinding sound...different than when the batt is too low, its faster and harsher sounding.
This sounds MECHANICAL, not electrical.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

If the starter is grinding, pull it back off and use the hole to examine the teeth on the flywheel.
Its possible you have a flywheel/flexplate that is going away.

I assume you have jumped the solenoid to engine a the starter, then worked back to the relay and jumped it to engage the starter, then checked for fire to the relay when the key is turned to start.
Once all that is done, goto the column (you already replaced the Neutral safety switch) and find the start wire off the ignition switch and make sure you got fire there. If not try to adjust the switch, its slotted and adjustable on the column.
If all that is good. You've got a broke wire between the switch and the relay.
Its easier to just run a new wire than to actually find the broke wire, its not fused between the switch and the relay. Should be straight through.

Good Luck with it.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tjwalker
This sounds MECHANICAL, not electrical.
I would agree with you and Caish both...It does seem
mechanical...would the flexplate cause the instant failure without warning like it did? Then there is still the issue off the heads lights staying on and the gauges acting funny. This is no mater what poistion the Ignition switch is in. The engine was replaced about 600km's ago...I made a 500 km trip as the test drive. All was well, gauges were normal as were smells, sights and sounds.
I have tried jumping the starter and I have tested for power from my new ign switch right to starter including power relay in power distribution center. The Ign switch is not mounted on steering column again yet so I activate it by small screw driver.