Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noob Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noob Questions

Hey guys and gals,

I came across your forum last night via an interesting string of thought processes and I decided that a Jeep Cherokee might be in my future. (I was researching shortwave "Technicians class" licensing and came across an operator with a nice looking radio in his Jeep)

First off, I need to get something off my chest... partly due to my dad and partly due to consumer reports and the like, I've always thought of Jeeps as junk.

I know I know...blasphemy...but hear me out...I may have seen the light and here is how...

First and foremost I am a firm believer in being prepared. I also live in Florida and we definitely get our share of hurricanes and the like. Hence, for me being prepared can be a necessity as well as piece of mind. Further, I run the website "Airsoft Reports" and my work can sometimes take me to rather remote locations where a 4x4 could be very useful. (Plus I could sleep in the back).

The thing is I am a car enthusiast and I have sort of a Jekel and Hyde desire when it comes to cars. On the one hand I love the "Sleeper" sedan. (I.e. fast without screaming "Look at me"). On the other hand I love the "Go anywhere" approach of the 4x4 de joure.

Now, I currently drive a fuzzmobile (Mercury Grandmarquis), but a new car will be on the horizon sooner than later. (See sleeperish)

IN line with these diverging interests I've had my sights set on either a Pontiac G8 GT (Used of course) or a Toyota FJ Cruiser (Also used). For me the approach was one or the other and not both and that always bothered me that I really couldn't do both...until...

ENTER JEEP!

Then I realized that the Jeep Cherokee has the exact 4x4 "look" that I like so much and many could be had for reasonably cheap. Problem is/was, the "Quality" alarm bells were going off in my head and I couldn't help but think that getting such an old, well worn vehicle could be nothing but headaches.

Yet, despite this notion, I've been reading report after report of how long various members have been driving their "Bullet proof" 4.0 liter Cherokees. Further, I've seen ample proof of a HUGE (Possibly the largest) pool of parts at good prices.

Now, I am not a mechanic, but I can usually figure stuff out and it occurred to me that I could probably bring one such Jeep Cherokee up to semi regular driveability/reliability without too much hassle.

So...my question is this:

On a 92'-present 100K Jeep Cherokee 4.0, 4x4 (Manual or Auto) what type of work would be necessary and or recommended?

I've heard the usual "Flush the fluids" and that seems common sensical, but in addition others have also said to "Check out the cooling system" and to replace the fuel pump.

The fluids are obvious to me...I've done that with all my cars (Rather, I've had that done with all my cars). The "Cooling system" I am presuming is referencing the radiator...but is there anything else to look for?

Fuel pump...never done this...I'm a bit intimidated by this job. Do you think it could be a do it yourself job?

Any other preventive maintenance that you guys have done or otherwise recommend?
I.e.
Alternator
Engine re-build
Drive shaft replacement
Brakes
etc...

I realize this is a lengthy post and I apologize in advance, but I do appreciate the input and thanks for having me!

Konrad
Old 08-17-2009, 03:36 PM

31 views and not a single response...
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

with any car of that age you will want to do a tune up and all fluids check brakes and what not ujoints axles joint all things that will go bad after time. As for the cherokee if you take care of it and change the fluids and keep up on the maitenance you will be very happy with you r purchase you do have to remember that thiis isnt a sports car and does not ride like one but if you dont mind that it is a very solid vehichle just look at the production numbers and how many are still on the road those numbers dont lie and good luck with purchase
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Swampthing777
31 views and not a single response...
Be patient, not everyone can immediately respond, and you've asked questions that'll probably require an in-depth response. Most of us are working

I've heard the usual "Flush the fluids" and that seems common sensical, but in addition others have also said to "Check out the cooling system" and to replace the fuel pump.
Check the cooling system can mean a lot of things when troubleshooting:
1. flush the rad
2. replace the thermostat
3. hoses (normal cooling stuff)
4. temp sending unit / coolant temp sending unit
5. mechanical clutch fan
6. auxillary electric (A/C) fan
7. water pump (just like any other rig)

On a rig with a good rad, often a backflush of the rad system is a good thing... if the fluid that drains doesn't look like mud, and if you're running around 210* at temp, you're doing ok most likely.

Fuel pump - The words of wisdom I've been told a few times is not to replace it unless it goes out... they run forever. I'm still running the original FP from my 1990 Cherokee. Change the fuel filter if you want, that's a 10 minute job.

The 4.0 I6 motor runs great... routine maintenance done to these things and they run forever.

Best thing to do is drain/replace all fluids, backflush the coolant system, check/replace S-belt and any bad hoses, and drive it.

This is just my .02 though, I'm sure there will be others who know quite a bit more who will pipe in later.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer

ok well guess ill give ya some input.

first yes fluid are important at least then you know they are new.

cooling system its a good idea to get it flush to get what ever crap may have built up in there out.

fuel pump its a rather easy job but can be a little time consuming depending on tools and your work area and what you have access too(ramps,jack,jack stands) but its one of the easiest id say as you dont need to drop the tank as the access port is on the front of the tank instead of the top. and the fuel filter is mounted on the uniframe rail and held in hy one screw and usually some hose clamps.....IIRC for both it usually costs me bout $20-30CDN for filter and i just recently did a pump that cost $260 but thats not an item that usualy need changing.

another thing to look at is U-joint on the drive shafts. this can be done simply by grabbing it and jerkin it around and looking for play the ujoint at the steering knuckles can be a little more difficult but i find a long screw driver helps and ya just pry up on it a bit or engage the 4wd and try rotating the front shaft by hand but this wont show much unless the joint is royally screwed.

wheel bearing should be checked. jack up front end grab tire by the edges and shake side to side then up and down, look for play. unit-bearings usually run in the $300-400 range and depending if they have every been changed and how rusted the parts my be this can be a ***** of a job and will most likely require the help of an air compressor.

thats all i can think of right now off the top of my head.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks guys,

I really just placed the other comment as a bump...didn't want to get lost in sea of other (great) posts.

I appreciate the input on the u joints, cooling system etc...

I'll keep pouring over the forums to try and glean as much info as I can.

Thanks again!

Konrad
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o
Cool

Welcome to the world of jeep. A lot of people don't get it! "IT'S A JEEP THING-YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND" lol. I was one of those years ago, now its the only thing my wife and I drive.... I am a technician and from my point of view , you can't beat it. I have worked in a chrysler "stealership" for almost twenty years wrenching and the jeep cherokee is one of the best , most reliable, easy to fix, go any where do anything vehicles. Get one ... you won't be disapointed. If you are unsure about condition, or what to look for have a "reputible" mechanic check things out for you. Good luck!!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 AM

I appreciate the feedback and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd at least have someone else take a look at the vehicle before purchase.

Still, even though I think I am dead set on getting some XJ i6 4.0 4x4, I still just can't get over how many miles these things have on them (I mean 90 to 100K + and they are still going for $5K on autotrader here in the Orlando area.

I mean, I know you guys love em, but with the recent uptick in the gas prices, I'd think that for a 9 year old car with a buttload of miles that the prices would be half that.

Now bear in mind that this Jeep would not really be an everyday driver for me. Rather it would be a BOV and or, emergency vehicle plus possibly a vehicle to take to the airsoft games I film.

To be honest, after having seen some great how tos on youtube, I've convinced that with the right tools and some time that I should be able to tackle just about anything I'd need to fix on the Jeep. (Famous last words I'm sure).
Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer

famous last words is right but your right they are pretty workable and they do run pretty damn long as far as american engines go ive seen some with 500K+ Km and just regular tune ups i got lucky with mine some old timer owned it and put a brand new crate engine in at 150K Km and i just rolled over 350K Km a month ago and its still runnin pretty strong for the most part given that i kick the crap outta the thing and im not scared to push it only downside to the older Pre-91s is the exhaust manifolds were known to crack which is why mines off the road while i put a header on it
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mud-dog27
famous last words is right but your right they are pretty workable and they do run pretty damn long as far as american engines go ive seen some with 500K+ Km and just regular tune ups i got lucky with mine some old timer owned it and put a brand new crate engine in at 150K Km and i just rolled over 350K Km a month ago and its still runnin pretty strong for the most part given that i kick the crap outta the thing and im not scared to push it only downside to the older Pre-91s is the exhaust manifolds were known to crack which is why mines off the road while i put a header on it

holy **** that was one sentence no commas totally *****in
Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

I know the old timers like Mudderoy, Blue, OKC, COS, TrueBlue and myself (among many others) would agree...

The 4.0L is just starting to break in at around 160,000mi.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

I thought the same thing as you when I was searching for a new vehicle and came across Jeeps. Pretty expensive for such an old vehicle etc etc. Lots were going for a very expensive price and I couldn't figure it out because I had always seen the odom readings really high.

I started hearing about how incredible the I6 was from lots of different people. So I found one for 500$ but the guy was impossible to keep in touch with to get the details worked out.

Finally got my hands on my 87 with 155k miles on it. I have put minimal work into it and it runs pretty strong. First thing was replacing the fan clutch because It was getting extremely hot. Then I finally did the oil, then the clutch master cyl went out so I fixed that.

And the list goes on from now. I am out of money for now so I am doing as much free stuff that I can think of. Yanked fender flares off, marking out my lines for where to cut the fenders. Probably going to call a friend and talk to him about helping me cut it up and maybe help me out building my bumpers.

Next real job will be front/rear diffs and plugs/wires/dist cap etc.

I am extremely happy with my little 700$ investment and the more I fix/mod the more I get addicted.

Hope your purchase goes well and you fall in love with Jeep like the rest of us have!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The only words of wisdom (I hope) that I have is, when it's time to buy, be patient and take your time. Theres still good ones out there. I opted for a grocery getter, never lifted. The steering being tight is a good indicator that the suspension is in pretty good shape and hasent been abused. Watch for rust! a little surface rust here and there can be dealt with, cancer rearing its head through body panels or in the floor panels= money down the road. Money thats a lot funner to spend on tires, lift and accessories. Trans fluid should be red and not smell burnt, coolant should be green not brown, check for coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant. Start with a good platform, its alot funner upgrading than fixing all the stuff the PO ignored! Just my opinions, hope it helps. P.S. A carfax report, insist on it.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 10-13-2009 at 09:12 PM.