Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noisey tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noisey tires

Im about to lift my 98 XJ 3 inches and putting 31s I'm stuck between bfg all terrians or Goodyear wrangler duratracs. Which one should I get? Which one will have less noise? Will the duratracs be loud with the big treads?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I've heard nothing but great things about the Duratracs, I have the BFG a/ts and only hear slightly hums them with the windows down and the radio off, even then its just the slightest hum.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
I've heard nothing but great things about the Duratracs, I have the BFG a/ts and only hear slightly hums them with the windows down and the radio off, even then its just the slightest hum.
I have Cooper discoverer ST. Same thing as above.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

DuraTrac's are legit! IMHO, better overall design. More aggressive, staggered lugs, with the duras offering a pretty slick center lug design that helps reduce road noise. Each have comparable siping for the snow, though I do like the way the duras are siped more.. The duras are a 10 ply tread, as opposed to the bfg's 3 or 4 (IIRC!! Correct me if wrong!!) the ONE downside to the duras is their 2 ply sidewall, but I've cut the hell outta mine without any problems! I just ran my 235/75's (80 percent on road, 20 off road) for 3 years @ ~48k miles. They take me places I didn't think I could go in the mud, thru any ridiculous Vermont snow and they do a good job in the sand (not that there's much of it..) and resist hydroplaning well! There's my two Lincoln's..
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
DuraTrac's are legit! IMHO, better overall design. More aggressive, staggered lugs, with the duras offering a pretty slick center lug design that helps reduce road noise. Each have comparable siping for the snow, though I do like the way the duras are siped more.. The duras are a 10 ply tread, as opposed to the bfg's 3 or 4 (IIRC!! Correct me if wrong!!) the ONE downside to the duras is their 2 ply sidewall, but I've cut the hell outta mine without any problems! I just ran my 235/75's (80 percent on road, 20 off road) for 3 years @ ~48k miles. They take me places I didn't think I could go in the mud, thru any ridiculous Vermont snow and they do a good job in the sand (not that there's much of it..) and resist hydroplaning well! There's my two Lincoln's..
What size are yours? And is their any noise that the tires make?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jbeaujean28

What size are yours? And is their any noise that the tires make?
225/75r15 on 3.75" backspace.. Don't know if they are 7 or 8" though.. Either way, this is my second set of them, the previous set was also 235's. As for the noise, I have noticed a difference between the 3 year old ones with almost 50k on them and the brand newbies. But it's not excessive by any means. Theres no carpet in my XJ, so there's all kinda road noise anyways.. The center lugs are designed to run more parallel to the road, helping to reduce noise and improve grip. I think the thing that contributes to the noise the most is the shoulder lugs- they are the most aggressive part of the tire and are staggered a bit. But this helps in the mud, both for grip and helping clean out the lugs! Sorry if I'm rambling, but I see all of it as pertinent! One last thought: the duras can be studded on the outer lugs
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep

225/75r15 on 3.75" backspace.. Don't know if they are 7 or 8" though.. Either way, this is my second set of them, the previous set was also 235's. As for the noise, I have noticed a difference between the 3 year old ones with almost 50k on them and the brand newbies. But it's not excessive by any means. Theres no carpet in my XJ, so there's all kinda road noise anyways.. The center lugs are designed to run more parallel to the road, helping to reduce noise and improve grip. I think the thing that contributes to the noise the most is the shoulder lugs- they are the most aggressive part of the tire and are staggered a bit. But this helps in the mud, both for grip and helping clean out the lugs! Sorry if I'm rambling, but I see all of it as pertinent! One last thought: the duras can be studded on the outer lugs
Oh ramble away lol it helps a lot thanks I appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jbeaujean28

Oh ramble away lol it helps a lot thanks I appreciate it.
haha, right on!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

I kinda like the noise...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Year: 1988

Are you looking for noisy or not? If not but still want a good tire but are on a budget I suggest general grabbers at2. I have them on my jeep and love them! They are not noisy and handle beautifully off and on road, just drove them from Maryland to Texas, had no problem, they are identical to the bfgs but cost a lot less. I don't have a lift but they take me where I want to go
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

Originally Posted by elevol92
Are you looking for noisy or not? If not but still want a good tire but are on a budget I suggest general grabbers at2. I have them on my jeep and love them! They are not noisy and handle beautifully off and on road, just drove them from Maryland to Texas, had no problem, they are identical to the bfgs but cost a lot less. I don't have a lift but they take me where I want to go
I'm also looking at those tires!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by elevol92
No I don't want noisy tires, and I've seen those on my neighbors lifted XJ and his Dakota maybe I'll ask him
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have general at2s on my gc and duratracs on the tj. IMO the duratracs are better in mud and rocks. They both are severe weather rated and do great in snow and ice. In my experience the AT2s last longer than the duratracs. The generals are quieter but the duratracs are not loud by any means. Buy whichever you get the best deal on and be happy. Oh I do have a xj but she has swamper ltb, they are LOUD!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by muffinman
I have general at2s on my gc and duratracs on the tj. IMO the duratracs are better in mud and rocks. They both are severe weather rated and do great in snow and ice. In my experience the AT2s last longer than the duratracs. The generals are quieter but the duratracs are not loud by any means. Buy whichever you get the best deal on and be happy. Oh I do have a xj but she has swamper ltb, they are LOUD!
Thanks for the info. And I looked at the pics of your XJ and I bet those things are loud! Very nice though!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Man everyone always want the smoothest, quitest ride.. but want the XJ's to be capable.. wth, we dont drive Cadillac's people. Turn on your radio...