Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noise from transmission

Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Noise from transmission

I have a '96 stock Jeep Cherokee 4wd automatic.

Recently I noticed a noise (maybe closer to a rattle) coming from what seems to be the transmission (it sounds like it's right below the gear shifter). The noise only happens when I'm either sitting stationary or moving slowly (like under 10 mph). It seems like typically I have to shift into gear to hear it, but I don't have to be moving. Sometimes if I shift back to park or neutral the noise goes away, sometimes the noise continues in park... I've looked around underneath and can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from although it seems to be in the vicinity of the transmission. It's much louder inside the jeep than when I'm looking around underneath.

I've checked my transmission fluid level and it seems good. I saw that it could be the transmission mount, so I put a screw driver up there and tried to see if there was any play between the cross member and the transmission and it doesn't feel like there is (I have not taken the mount off to actually look at it). Just visually looking at the transmission mount it seems to be okay.

I've attached a sound clip so you can hear what it sounds like inside with the rattle.

Could it be my transmission going out? Or is it more likely a issue with one of the mounts (engine, or transmission)

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Jeep-transmission-noise.mp3 (315.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

How did the exhaust look? If the exhaust loosens up (the hangers like to rust and break or the rubber stretches and comes off among other issues) it could cause the pipe to bang on the crossmember or floor pans.

when it's cooled off completely grab the pipe and see if you can move it enough by hand to whack against something..
Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Look closely here, and check your engine mounts.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Thank you both for the help! It seems to be coming from the exhaust pipe. Should I just replace the exhaust hanger rubber, or could the engine mounts be causing the exhaust pipe to sag? How do you tell if the engine mounts are worn out?

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd replace what looks worn. If the bushing on the tranny mount is dried or cracked I'd replace the tranny mount (unless you can find a replacement bushing.. but I think it's one unit). Just FYI, if you go with a new tranny mount you want an OEM or a Napa driveline - don't use Anchor brand.
If the tailpipe mount is stretched out, I'd replace that.

Take a look at the engine mounts and look at the rubber.. if it's cracked or is stretched, replace them. If you do the tranny mount it's usally recomended to do the engine mounts at the same time.