Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Start, No Spark-Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No Start, No Spark-Your thoughts

I have a '92 cherokee. I had been having some occasional misfires and even some stalls. I actually drove it into my basement to do some maintainance. I cleaned the IAC valve. When I went to crank it it would not start. I determined I was not getting no spark through the coil. I did some priliminary checks on the connector to the coil and it seems its not get a signal.
However I have not checked it while someone is cranking the engine. I had another CPS on another engine. I installed it. Still no spark. I think my problem may be in the PCM. I checked pin #7 and I beleive it is suppose to have 8 volts according to the factory service manual. I have double checked fuses,swapped out relays and checked the grounds to the battery and all seems to be ok. What I want to confirm if possible is the PCM pin #7 having the 8volts with the key in the on position. If I don't have any juice there and the fuses are good would that point to replacing the PCM. I appreciate any thoughts. I have been pulling my hair out on this one and I really don't have any to spare.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Get a new CPS from dealer. Get an OEM not aftermarket.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Default problem solved

Not 100% sure how. I did take batmanxj's advice and purchased another CPS. I installed it and it did the same thing as the previous sensor. I went to crank it and it hit but didn't crank. I cranked on it many times and it would not start. I disconnected the battery and turned the headlights on also. I read somewhere that finishes killing the juice to the PCM. I tried to crank it again and it turned over quite awhile as it was cranking I started. pumping the gas pedal. It finally started. It ran a little rough for a little while but finally smoothed out.
I also noticed that my flex-plate has some cracks it and that caused it to have some wobble or play in it and it had been rubbing the original CPS. I think that may have caused it to go bad to start with.
I've read hundreds of post on these issues. Maybe the next time someone has the same problem they may need to try what I did before proceeding on to something else. Good luck and I appreciate all the write-ups.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Default symptoms reappearing

My jeep is having the same problems it had before if finally didn't start at all. It is sputtering and backfiring. It is not shifting like it should and feels like its not opening up from less than throttle to wide open. I have replaced the IAC,TPS and the CPS. Took most of the connectors apart and cleaned. I had to put another temp sensor for the gauge on there and it shows it is running a little hotter than the old one. Not sure if it is the sensor or it's running lean. I have cleaned 3 chassis ground will do the rest tonight. Looking for any thoughts on where to continue.
Thanks,