Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No start ?????

Can anyone help me out. The other day at work my jeep would not start, the starter would not make any noise no clicks nothing. Jump starting did nothing as well, the battery is good though. Now the strange part the alarm set it self and started to go off, I didn't even know that it worked I've had the jeep for 4 years now never had a remote for it. With the alarm going nuts I found the little box and pulled all the plugs but still no start. I can bump start it and it will sometimes start with the key. other times nothing any ideas? I have a 95 xj 4.0 with a 5 speed.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Howdy! And welcome to CF...I had this canned, maybe just for you;

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks, But I have a stick I thought only automatics had a nss on them.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Terminals on battery good and tight? No corroded/broken cables?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Terminals on battery good and tight? No corroded/broken cables?
^^This is what it sounds like it is to me. I know when I had a bad ground and moved the cable it would set off the alarm.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 09-19-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Yea everythings tight. It started right after the alarm started going nuts. it will still start every now and then when it wants to.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Maybe those have a switch on the clutch pedal or something? Did you need to depress the clutch before? Starter 101, is the little wire to the starter solenoid getting power with the key? Probably something grounds a relay to let juice to the solenoid....I mean.if it normally won't start in gear.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

You are correct you do not have an NSS. That is for automatics. You also do not have a clutch switch. The starting circuit is quite simple. You need to start with a good and charged battery. Good, clean and tight cables at the battery, ground and starter terminals.

When you turn the key and get nothing it usually indicates a failure in the starting circuit. Power is not getting to the starter solenoid terminal. For you system it includes the fuse, ignition switch, starter relay and wiring. It could also be that the solenoid is getting power but the solenoid is not activating.

To determine where to look I would do a voltage test at the starter solenoid terminal, when it fails again. Take a voltage reading of your battery. Have a helper turn the key to start. You should read battery voltage each time the key is held in start. If no voltage or low voltage, the problem is in the starting circuit. If yes voltage but no starter action, the problem is in the starter. This will point you in the right direction of where to look.

If it is in the starting circuit I would first check the starter relay.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 AM

I did swap out the starter relay I carry a few as spares in my tool box no change, also checked the fuse the big 40 amp one and plugged in a new one also no change. I will try the tests you talked about in the morning. I'm still wondering if it had anything to do with that stupid alarm, I found the box it was hooked up to and pulled the plug out.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

aftermarket alarm?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by mudpen
I did swap out the starter relay I carry a few as spares in my tool box no change, also checked the fuse the big 40 amp one and plugged in a new one also no change. I will try the tests you talked about in the morning. I'm still wondering if it had anything to do with that stupid alarm, I found the box it was hooked up to and pulled the plug out.
Thanks for the replys.

It could be alarm related if the alarm cuts off the starting circuit. The voltage test will help troubleshoot.

When you say bump start do you mean rolling the Jeep and popping the clutch or does it mean jumping the starter at the starter.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM

I push start it. Yes it is aftermarket alarm never had any problems with it until it this last week. IIn fact I never knew that it was hooked up. It started acting up when parked at work it was very hot outside 107 degrees, not much fun crawling around the jeep in that heat,
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Had the day off to trouble shoot my starting problem, tried a wire from starter to pos. battery turned starter then nothing. Took off the starter and had it tested and it passed tested it about 5 times just to make sure, replaced it cleaned the connections thought whay not hook up battery to see what happens. The sucker fired right up. I hope that fixed the problem but i don't understand it, can you shock a starter to make it work ? On my why to test the battery now, just stoked not to have to push start it and no money spent
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudpen
Had the day off to trouble shoot my starting problem, tried a wire from starter to pos. battery turned starter then nothing. Took off the starter and had it tested and it passed tested it about 5 times just to make sure, replaced it cleaned the connections thought whay not hook up battery to see what happens. The sucker fired right up. I hope that fixed the problem but i don't understand it, can you shock a starter to make it work ? On my why to test the battery now, just stoked not to have to push start it and no money spent
Could've been a loose connection to the starter. And by taking it out and putting it back in you tightened the connection.