Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default No Reverse

​​​​​A few days ago, I had a mechanic change my fluids and filters on both the transmission and the oil. Once everything was changed he test drove my Jeep to make sure things were running properly, which they were. The reverse gear was working properly when he test drove it, also when I backed it out of his garage. Then, I get home and leave to go to a friends house, only to find out that my reverse isn’t working. So I drive it back to his house hoping he could fix it. When I got to his house, we popped the hood and he had over filled the transmission oil by about an inch over the full line on the dip stick. We also popped the radiator cap and it started puking up anti freeze. I scanned it with an OBD and it gave me (P0756). I’m struggling here and I could use an answer before I spend a lot of money on something that could be easily fixed.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:10 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

the first thing I would do is drain enough fluid so that it is on the max mark when full

I had a situation where my '96 would sometimes not want to engage reverse, after I flushed it (had been off-the-road for 2yrs and fluid was old)

It would eventually engage after numerous attempts and some reving...trying holding RPM @ 2000 for 30secs, see if it grabs

It hasnt done that now for sometime now, altho I am still evaluating the situation, and a bit careful about not needing to reverse, hopefully I can relax soon

That trouble code is a trans solenoid code...did he drop the pan?...the wiring is very brittle.

As far as I can make out, the trans Reverse is engaged by cable position alone, but there "maybe" a situation where fluid can drain back, if a solenoid is failed??

You didnt say how long the motor was cooled b4 it bubbled over upon rad cap being opened?..may be unrealted & not a problem

What year model is your Jeep?