Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No power to windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No power to windows

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my power windows and I need some help (2000 XJ). The owner before me claimed to have done the window switch bypass. He said that he crossed the tan and yellow wires and crimped them and that solved the issue. The passenger side window didn't work when I bought it so I don't know if that is the correct way to bypass it.

Now I'm having an issue getting power to all windows, power locks, and mirrors. They only work occasionally. The power locks do work from the remote but not inside the Jeep. I thought it might be the driver's side control switch/panel so I got a new one and that didn't work. I've checked all connections and no wires are broken etc. Is the bypass done incorrectly and would this cause not getting power to any windows? Any ideas on what to troubleshoot next? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by KelticTJ; 05-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by KelticTJ
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my power windows and I need some help (2000 XJ). The owner before me claimed to have done the window switch bypass. He said that he crossed the tan and yellow wires and crimped them and that solved the issue. The passenger side window didn't work when I bought it so I don't know if that is the correct way to bypass it.

Now I'm having an issue getting power to all windows, power locks, and mirrors. They only work occasionally. I thought it might be the driver's side control switch/panel so I got a new one and that didn't work. I've checked all connections and no wires are broken etc. Is the bypass done incorrectly and would this cause not getting power to any windows? Any ideas on what to troubleshoot next? Thanks in advance.
If you look in the loom between the chassis and the door, chances are a bunch of wires are broken. Make one splice inside the door and the other inside the body.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Awesome. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM

Well Turbo XJ, you were right. What would be the best way to go about reconnecting these? 6 wires total. I'm a noob so bare with me. Thanks for all your help

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  13.1 KB
Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

The way I did mine was I added about 2" more of wire to each and soldered them and I used some shrink tube to seal them. The reason I add 2" more wire it to give them a little more flex. So far I havn't had a problem with them and it has been almost 4 years since I did mine.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Do you happen to remember what gauge wire? The green wire looks to be smaller and is real short so I was planning on adding some anyway.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Got it all fixed. I unplugged the harness and pulled the wires through the door a bit. Made a PITA job easier. Just soldered and heat shrinked. For anyone wondering the symptoms for future searches:

Power door locks, windows, and power mirrors had occasional power leading to no power. Window switches and connectors all good. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by KelticTJ; 05-27-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KelticTJ
Got it all fixed. I unplugged the harness and pulled the wires through the door a bit. Made a PITA job easier. Just soldered and heat shrinked. For anyone wondering the symptoms for future searches:

Power door locks, windows, and power mirrors had occasional power leading to no power. Window switches and connectors all good. Thanks for the advice.
Looks like you got it done before I could answer about the gauge of wire. It's bee so long I don't have a clue what gauge I used. Some of us old farts have a hard time remembering what we did yesterday. LOL
Anyways, glade you got it taken care of.