Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no power, low rough idle, jumpy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default no power, low rough idle, jumpy

Hey guys. Yesterday on my lunch break I drained my battery so I jumped it when I got off. I had to give it gas for about 15 minutes before I could let it idle on its own or it would die. The ride home was a little sluggish but not so bad that I thought anything of it. Today on my way to work it was super sluggish, I had to floor it just to maintain speed yet my rpms weren't very high and it was jumping as if I was pumping the gas. Any ideas what this could be? I was going to go to a parts store and have them pull some codes because my first thought was a sensor.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Oh and also, after I jumped it my check gauges light was on and my battery gauge was not going up at all. I stopped to get gas on my way home and when I started it up again everything went back to normal.

And I'm not sure if its related but over the past week or so mympgs have dropped significantly.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM

so I'm on my lunch break and I started her up. Popped the hood to check out what was going on
Y engine was shaking like crazy. I tried to give it some gas by hand and she died. Now it won't start again. What is going on?! Someone please..
Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Recently replaced all the plugs and wires cap rotor all that and she's been running like a champ until last night and a simple drained battery which is only a year old is causing all this?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM

anybody?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Year: 1998

For the motor bouncing, check your motor mounts. And for the other problems it seems like you need to replace your oxygen sensors. NGK is factory replacement. Just did mine yesterday and solved all the CEL problems and all my motor clanking issues. I was having same issues as you. I would start there.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Year: 1998

Get your codes checked also. All ur answers are in those codes. It will tell you what is wrong.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM

Thank you! I thought I needed new oxygen sensors anyway, hopefully that will take care of that. Are bad motor mounts also the reason it feels like my whole jeep is going to explode over about 3.5k rpms too?

still have a problem with getting it started though. I'll be getting a real jump when I get off work soon but I tried on my last break with a jump box and it almost wanted to turn over but not quite. Just need to get it home for now.

I'll post any updates
Again thanks for your help!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you drain your battery on your lunch break? Sounds like your battery might be bad.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM

had the ignition on rather than just turning the key back like I normally do. Also had the defrost on and its an hour long lunch break. stupid stupid me.

but the battery has plenty of power now and it still won't start. Waiting to get towed home. I work in a bad area and I don't want to leave her out here overnight.

So battery aside, any clue why it won't start now? When turning it over it sounds different than when a car normally has a dead battery. Kind of ''chuggish'' I guess rather than a ying ying sound.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM

so after a new oxygen sensor, a charged battery, and a brand new starter, it still won't start. i would drive the thing off a cliff right now if i could get it to move. a whole weekend of frustration and I still don't know what to do.

still making the same sound. more of a mechanical chug chug rather than a ying ying. although now it's just clicking after turning the battery over several times so now it's drained again.

google brought me to a thread with somewhat similar symptoms and the fix was a tps sensor. anybody think that could be it? i'd have my codes read but i can't get it anywhere..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Year: 1988

Have you checked your crank position sensor? Also check all of your battery cables and grounds
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM

i haven't. and i already pushed it out of the garage and can't get it back in myself, and it's getting dark and cold.

i found this thread that says to unplug it and if my voltage and gas gauges return to normal then it's bad. when i first turned it on today it told me i had a half tank of gas when I know I don't have that much, and last week when the problems first started my voltage was way off.

so i'm guessing that's probably it? will check for sure asap
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Jeez man.... STOP THROWING PARTS AT IT.... Have you done any basic tests what-so-ever??

Spark test, fuel pressure/flow test, etc.?

When you drained the battery, you more than likely reset the computer to the factory settings rather than the learned settings it was running on.

Have you checked the grounds and made sure that your battery positive is tight??
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM

yeah i know how bad that sounds haha
the o2 sensor was on my list of things anyway.
i was going to test the starter before buying a new one however i had to demolish the connections just to get it off. the nut was just spinning on the + bolt so the plastic on the solenoid had to be broken. had to cut the bolt to get the new one on. so even if it was good it wasn't going back on.

haven't done any other tests yet, no.

Quick Reply: no power, low rough idle, jumpy