Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No overdrive, totally stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No overdrive, totally stumped.

I have a 96 XJ 4.0 aw-4 and everything I have attempted so far has not been successful. At 45 mph, the tach keeps climbing. I can't really travel on highways, unless I want 2600 rpm the entire time. I have adjusted the TV cable about 30 times, rebuilt the NSS and this weekend I pulled the transmission pan and looked at the solenoids; all seemed fine. I have no CEL at all. I'm starting to think the solenoids are working just fine, as when I drive at 45mph+ downhill while off the throttle the tach fluctuates between 1000 and 1500 rpm and consistently sounds like something is trying to lock up but just isn't.

I tried to replace the solenoids outright, but the parts I was given did not match up quite the same.

I tested the connector to the tcm and the pin that corresponds to the lockup solenoid showed no resistance.

I don't know where to go from here. Should I replace the lockup solenoid once and for all? Am I missing something here?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by popmomcorn
I have a 96 XJ 4.0 aw-4 and everything I have attempted so far has not been successful. At 45 mph, the tach keeps climbing. I can't really travel on highways, unless I want 2600 rpm the entire time. I have adjusted the TV cable about 30 times, rebuilt the NSS and this weekend I pulled the transmission pan and looked at the solenoids; all seemed fine. I have no CEL at all. I'm starting to think the solenoids are working just fine, as when I drive at 45mph+ downhill while off the throttle the tach fluctuates between 1000 and 1500 rpm and consistently sounds like something is trying to lock up but just isn't.

I tried to replace the solenoids outright, but the parts I was given did not match up quite the same.

I tested the connector to the tcm and the pin that corresponds to the lockup solenoid showed no resistance.

I don't know where to go from here. Should I replace the lockup solenoid once and for all? Am I missing something here?
The solenoid(s) should be 11-15 Ohms. If you saw no resistance, the solenoid is probably dead. Use the resistance measurement technique you usd on the lock-up solenoid on the other two solenoids and see what you get. If they too read no resistance you may be doing something wrong. Just say'n.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by CCKen
The solenoid(s) should be 11-15 Ohms. If you saw no resistance, the solenoid is probably dead. Use the resistance measurement technique you usd on the lock-up solenoid on the other two solenoids and see what you get. If they too read no resistance you may be doing something wrong. Just say'n.
The other 2 were 13.6 ohms.....
I thought cleaning everything up would have worked, but I guess not. I thought I may have switched the solenoids when I put them back in, which is what lead me to believe that the problem might be elsewhere, because if I switched a dead one, I would not have have a normal shift pattern. Well, I suppose I have my work cut out for me now, I just have to get the correct one this time instead of a handful of parts from a friend.

I also forgot to put the magnets back in the pan..... Pulling it again was inevitable. Not looking forward to the mess again but so be it

Thank you.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

The other 2 were 13.6 ohms.....
I thought cleaning everything up would have worked, but I guess not. I thought I may have switched the solenoids when I put them back in, which is what lead me to believe that the problem might be elsewhere, because if I switched a dead one, I would not have have a normal shift pattern. Well, I suppose I have my work cut out for me now, I just have to get the correct one this time instead of a handful of parts from a friend.

I also forgot to put the magnets back in the pan..... Pulling it again was inevitable. Not looking forward to the mess again but so be it

Thank you.
Because they are a PITA to get at, most folks change all three while the pan is down.

Last edited by CCKen; 12-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Year: 1998

Not looking forward to the mess again but so be it
Pick up a disposable roasting pan, $2, no fuss, no muss, no mess.