Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No OD, no reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default No OD, no reverse lights

So I have replaced the NSS, and I still have no reverse lights, and no overdrive. Any help? I had problems with my O2 sensors and codes, replaced them, and havent had a chance to reset. The only code transmission related was the torque converter clutch solenoid, but I didn't look at the ticket while at autozone and I had a mechanic tell me he was full of sh*!. Also, reverse bulbs are good.

Any help would be awesome!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L

Wow, just saw

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/not...to-4th-118643/

and replacing the #10 15 amp fuse fixed everything. Why I didn't have one is beyond me.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by stinsonbr
Wow, just saw

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/not...to-4th-118643/

and replacing the #10 15 amp fuse fixed everything. Why I didn't have one is beyond me.
Thanks for the tip. The 1998 Jeep Cherokee I just got for my son had the exact same issue. No overdrive, no reverse lights either. That link to that diagram saved me. Same here there was no fuse in the #10 slot. Talked to the previous owner and he said it was that way when he got it and never got it fixed. Checking other fuse box diagrams they say for 97 and 98 gas that fuse slot (#10) is Empty. So their info is wrong too. Only reason I can think anyone removed that fuse is, this Jeep has had the A/C removed and the #10 slot also feeds the relay for the A/C compressor clutch so maybe someone just removed it so the A/C compressor wouldn't kick on? Anyway, sure enough put a 15 amp fuse in the #10 slot and backup lights work and the transmission shifts perfectly.

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dynaflash
Thanks for the tip. The 1998 Jeep Cherokee I just got for my son had the exact same issue. No overdrive, no reverse lights either. That link to that diagram saved me. Same here there was no fuse in the #10 slot. Talked to the previous owner and he said it was that way when he got it and never got it fixed. Checking other fuse box diagrams they say for 97 and 98 gas that fuse slot (#10) is Empty. So their info is wrong too. Only reason I can think anyone removed that fuse is, this Jeep has had the A/C removed and the #10 slot also feeds the relay for the A/C compressor clutch so maybe someone just removed it so the A/C compressor wouldn't kick on? Anyway, sure enough put a 15 amp fuse in the #10 slot and backup lights work and the transmission shifts perfectly.

Thanks again for the tip.