Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No idle

Just bought an 88 cherokee with a 4.0. Worked on it all weekend replaced some leaky gaskets, front U-joints etc. Tonight I replaced the brake booster which was leaking badly. Previous to this the jeep ran fine although you could hear a very loud hissing in the cab coming from behind the brake pedal. Anyway I replaced it and went to go for the test drive and now it wont hold an idle. It will run with your foot on the gas and hold a fairly low rpm (no tach for an actual number). But as soon as you let off the gas completely it dies. I am guessing I knocked a wire loose when I did the brake booster but cant seem to find anything no connected. I removed the air cleaner box, and windshield washer reservoir as well as obviously the brake booster. So I think that whatever it would be would be on the drives side of the engine bay but I just cant seem to find anything. There is a small (coke can size) cylinder shaped thing with a bunch of wires coming out of/ going into it on the edge of the engine bay near the air cleaner. It appears to have a cable coming out of it going to part of the throttle linkage. What is this it seems like it would have to do with cold idle speeds? How do I test if its working? What else should I look for?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

This may seem like a stupid answer, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I had a similar problem with my girlfriend's '98 ZJ with the 318 (5.2). Would run if my foot was on the gas, but stall out at idle. It had been sitting for a while. I drained the gas, put 6 gallons of fresh 91 octane in, added a little fuel stabilizer, and it ran like a champ. If your Cherokee had been sitting for a while, it would start, but when it was driven it most likely stirred up some sediment in the gas tank, causing the Jeep to run like crap.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 AM

The jeep did sit for a while but as it started and held a fine idle previous to the brake booster job I think there is more to it than this. I highly suspect a pulled loose wire or something similar. Does anyone know what the piece of electronics next to the air cleaner ( fender side) that has a cable going to the throttle linkage does?