Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Heat - Check my work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default No Heat - Check my work.

No getting any heat from my 99' XJ. It has been sitting for about 8 months. Recently replaced the thermostat and water pump.

Checked the inlet and outlet hoses going into the firewall. Inlet was hot, outlet was cold. Did a reverse flush. Hoses are now about the same temp, outlet seems a few degree cooler. No improvement in air temperature coming out of the vents.

Blower Fan seems loud and air isn't being blown very fast out of the vents. Wondering if the door is perhaps gummed up or my fan starting to go. Any hints for trouble shooting?

Tomorrow is suppose to be above freezing so I am going to do another reverse flush this time with the hose instead of just gravity. Have some radiator flush/cleaner I am going to use this time also.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Flushed heater core until clear water came from the inlet house using a garden house. Got some particulates in the container I used to catch the fluid.

Read last night about the vent that opens into the heater box when you put the selector to recirculate. Was able to see that my blower motor fan was completely covered in insulation. Fashioned a hook with wire and was able to pull all of the insulation/nesting material out.

Combination of those two seemed to do the trick. 110° heat coming from the vents. Woot.

I think the fan speed switch might be going. There seems to be negligible speed difference between 1 & 2 and a huge increase from 3 to 4.