Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No fuel pressure

So I knew I didn't have much gas it was on E and the light was on. It snowed here and I just had to go drive around in our field but didn't feel like going up town and getting gas and thought I would be fine to go out for 15 mins. Turns out I was wrong and ran out of gas. So I try putting in like a half gallon we had in the garage just to get back to the house. It started but 2 seconds later sputtered out I suspected the gas was bad it was over a few months old with the cap left off. So I've gotten about a 1/4 tank of fresh gas in it now and it still doesn't start.

I thought maybe its gotten the fuel filter clogged and I replaced that. Still no start. It starts with starting fluid. After some research I've checked the Shrader valve with the key on and engine off and it only drips so there's no pressure. I also can't hear the fuel pump buzz. My relay's are also different than others I've seen so I'm not sure how I can check it yet. I'm thinking there is a clog at the fuel pump or I have fried it by running out of gas. I have a 1996 if anyone has suggestions.

Everything worked great until it sputtered out and I tried old gas and now I have no pressure. I was even able to start it 2 or 3 times after it sputtered out to get back to the house but I guess it sloshed around and couldn't keep enough flow and would sputter out again.

Is it possible running it out can kill the pump and would I be able to clear a clog if that's the issue?
Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'd check the fuel pump relay.. if it's clicking when you turn on the key, it's probably ok. No pressure in the fuel rail points to the pump. It can even be running and just not supply enough pressure. Just changed mine. '93 Laredo, I read it was a real bear, but the hardest part was getting the old strap hanger bolts loose. One of mine broke, but I welded it back together and it was fine. Napa had a nice replacement for $189 with a $10 instant rebate. Maybe the same deal for your model. Good luck
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

You likely killed the fuel pump by running it out of gas.

On an old fuel pump, when there is no gas to cool it (that is how fuel pumps are cooled), running out of gas is often the last straw.

If you can hear the fuel pump RUN (and you said you can) then you either have a clogged fuel filter or a failed fuel pump. No other possibilities. If you can hear the pump energize and run when the key is turned to the ON position, the relay is not the problem; it is working fine.

Either way, with a 96 (pump inside the tank) you are going to have to drop the tank. And then I would recommend you install an entire new fuel pump assembly, which consists of pump, regulator, filters, sending unit. Bosch is my favorite. Carter is my second favorite. I do not have a third favorite. I will NOT install an Airtex, nor will I recommend one....
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Listen to tjwalker............he speaks the truth.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Either way, with a 96 (pump inside the tank) you are going to have to drop the tank. And then I would recommend you install an entire new fuel pump assembly, which consists of pump, regulator, filters, sending unit.

Yep. Dropping the tank is a big enough job that you don't want to do it any more than you absolutely have to.

It just makes sense to do the job right, so you only have to do it once.

I broke a strap bolt dropping mine (different vehicle) a couple of years ago. A bit of work with a threading tool, and a coupling nut, and I was back in business. That beat shelling out $189 for a new tank strap!

If you can spray the strap bolts liberally with PB Blaster, and let it soak overnight, that's a good thing.

Don't waste your time with WD-40. It is NOT a penetrating oil. It's good for what it does, but it is not intended to free rusty parts.

Use PB Blaster, or if you can find it, Kroil.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jajao555
I also can't hear the fuel pump buzz
swap another relay in your box over to the fuel pump... if it doesnt change anything.. its your fuel pump
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJare9455
swap another relay in your box over to the fuel pump... if it doesnt change anything.. its your fuel pump
Agreed. I read the initial post incorrectly; thought he could hear the fuel pump running, but he can't. My mistake; my apologies.

So yes, swap the fuel pump relay with another one; they are all the same part number so swapping is not a problem. The fuel pump relay is located in the PDC (power distribution center), the black box under the hood on the passenger side.

But with "cause and effect" in play here and you having this trouble immediately after running out of gas, a dead fuel pump is still very probable here.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-05-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Year: 1996

Thanks for the replies. I swapped relay and no change. I was going to make sure there was power getting to the pump and if there is I guess its safe to say I killed the pump.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker;2728958I
read the initial post incorrectly; thought he could hear the fuel pump running, but he can't. My mistake; my apologies.
didnt mean to make that sound bad... i just figured you miss-read that part of his post
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJare9455
didnt mean to make that sound bad... i just figured you miss-read that part of his post
Oh, it's all good Jack. I did misread that post originally. Glad you pointed it out.

Sometimes I read/skim these posts a little too quickly me thinks.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I broke a strap bolt dropping mine (different vehicle) a couple of years ago. A bit of work with a threading tool, and a coupling nut, and I was back in business. That beat shelling out $189 for a new tank strap!
Where the hell are you shopping that they charge 189 dollars for a single tank strap? For a thin piece of sheet metal? Seriously?!!! You can get both straps from Napa for around 30 bucks!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Two issue 96 fuel pump the one that not made/hard to find. Second don't think 96 tank need to be dropped.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Second don't think 96 tank need to be dropped.
After checking my notes, I think 1996 was a "hybrid year" for XJ fuel systems (if I remember correctly and sometimes I don't)...

I believe it was sometime mid-1996 production year when Jeep changed over to the new design. So some earlier 96 XJs you would not have to drop the gas tank to replace the fuel pump (old style) and some later 96 XJs you would have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.

I think the mid-year change is what leads to some confusion. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Thanks.

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Just thinking about the 1996 Heeps gives me the heebie jeebies.

Looking at the parts catalog it shows the same fuel tank for model years '94-'96, and the same fuel pump. So if the rocket scientists at Chrysler changed the pump and tank mind production they sure wanted it kept a secret.

They even dicked with the PDC from what I gather.