Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Doors In Florida Legality Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No Doors In Florida Legality Question.

so this past week ive bee getting harassed by a cop multiple times who is stuck on writing me a ticket for not having doors. i seem to run into him everywhere now. and hes a ***** about it.

but, i thought i read something somewhere about it being legal as long as you follow certain guidelines.

anyone know where i can find this info? or if it has been covered before?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

as long as you ave one mirror on the drivers side you are fine. did he write you a ticket? or just threaten to?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

usually find out at your local DMV or the DMV website
I would ask the Donut Muncher to tell me the statute/law/regulation # and look it up also....
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sflxj
as long as you ave one mirror on the drivers side you are fine. did he write you a ticket? or just threaten to?
he says i have 2 strikes now, and the next one is a ticket...
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tannerp89
usually find out at your local DMV or the DMV website
I would ask the Donut Muncher to tell me the statute/law/regulation # and look it up also....
only thing im worried about is the ticket he has threatened to write. "illegal equipment" which is a pretty broad ticket.

its only a $100 ticket so im not to worried about that, but its the principle of it that gets me.

ive driven a few jeeps over the years without doors (in numerous counties also), and ive even been pulled over for other infractions while doorless. and this is the 1st cop EVER to tell me i could not run without doors.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Year: 1993

that is a bunch of crap. if he was going to give you a ticket he would have already done it. try going to say- the mall - w/ doors on and finding a random other cop and ask him. i lived in Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale and no one has ever had problems w/o doors that i have heard of. also look on www.flhsmv.gov
Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sflxj
that is a bunch of crap. if he was going to give you a ticket he would have already done it. try going to say- the mall - w/ doors on and finding a random other cop and ask him. i lived in Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale and no one has ever had problems w/o doors that i have heard of. also look on www.flhsmv.gov
yea, could be true, but im tired of being pulled over and harassed about it.

and about the mall thing, one thing ive learned over the years is dont get law advice from police officers.

although we have several that have work done to there jeeps at our shop. so i may see if they know anything about it
Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by N20jeep
yea, could be true, but im tired of being pulled over and harassed about it.

and about the mall thing, one thing ive learned over the years is dont get law advice from police officers.

although we have several that have work done to there jeeps at our shop. so i may see if they know anything about it
if the same cop is just being a dick, figure out the law first, then if he pulls you over again, get his badge number and his name and show the county that he is harrassing you and ur not doing anything wrong, if its legal. lol if he is being a dick, be one right back by the legal way. also thats bs people run wranglers w/o doors all the time and never heard anybody getting pulled over for it. get the law number and description too and if he cant find a law to fit whats happening to you then say something bout it.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

One point to remember is that Wranglers could be ordered with removable doors from the factory, while the factory permanently attached the XJ's doors and never offered the option of removable doors. I believe if it went to court you'd lose, regardless of whether or not you attached mirrors to your door-less XJ.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

I don't mean to sound like an ***hole, but if you are sick of being harassed then put your doors back on. If the cop really likes to harass you he will find any reason to pull you over. There really isn't anything you can do or not do.

I think sflxj had it that if he was going to write you a ticket he would have already. Do you have quick removable doors or do you just unbolt them?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ol"blue
One point to remember is that Wranglers could be ordered with removable doors from the factory, while the factory permanently attached the XJ's doors and never offered the option of removable doors. I believe if it went to court you'd lose, regardless of whether or not you attached mirrors to your door-less XJ.
his main issue is side impact. he claimed that the wranglers could stand up to a side impact.

but, the wranglers do not stand up any better to side impact without doors than the XJ.

and while yes, they were easier to remove. you still have to "unbolt" the doors on the wrangler to be able to lift and remove them
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by razor02097
I don't mean to sound like an ***hole, but if you are sick of being harassed then put your doors back on. If the cop really likes to harass you he will find any reason to pull you over. There really isn't anything you can do or not do.

I think sflxj had it that if he was going to write you a ticket he would have already. Do you have quick removable doors or do you just unbolt them?
i disagree, i dont speed in the xj, all my lights work, no tint on my windows, all my reg. and ins. is up to date. i would love to see him find something else to write me a ticket on.

that kind of attitude, is what keeps allowing certain cops try and interperate the laws in there own way.

my doors are quickly removable
Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
i disagree, i dont speed in the xj, all my lights work, no tint on my windows, all my reg. and ins. is up to date. i would love to see him find something else to write me a ticket on.

that kind of attitude, is what keeps allowing certain cops try and interperate the laws in there own way.

my doors are quickly removable
Does Fl have a bumper height law? Do you have aftermarket exhaust? larger then stock tires? How loud is your music while driving without doors or with windows down? What happens if one of your brake lights burns out? Forget to signal with lane change? Misaligned headlight?

There are a million reasons a cop could pull you over, most of the minor stuff it fishing for bigger infractions. I don't understand what you want to accomplish here we can't talk to the cop for you.

All I heard was you where sick of being harassed. All I was saying is that if the only reason he pulls you over for is the doors and you are sick of being pulled over for it then you could put them back on. Otherwise be strong and get your wallet out because if the cop has a bad day you may start getting tickets.

I know it's stupid being that there are convertibles, t tops and doorless wranglers that can get away with it. However just like everything else in life, just because it isn't fair doesn't mean you can do it and not expect someone to object.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i don't understand the whole door less thing anyways. if you want to remove the doors, buy a wrangler. cherokees have doors for a reason
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by superj
i don't understand the whole door less thing anyways. if you want to remove the doors, buy a wrangler. cherokees have doors for a reason
That isn't really the point. Personally I like half doors but if the OP likes doorless we haven't a right to judge him in this thread.

Quick Reply: No Doors In Florida Legality Question.