Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Directionals, No Hazards, No Clue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default No Directionals, No Hazards, No Clue!

Hi! I'm pretty new to this forum, but I was a member of a Mercury Marauder forum for the 7 years I owned one so I know this is the best place to go for help and answers! I've done a search and couldn't find anything that helped me so...
A week or so ago, I noticed my Directionals stopped working as well as my Hazards. I've ohmed out every fuse, both under the dash (the driver's side of the steering column), and under the hood, and replaced both the combo Directional/Hazard flasher as well as the switch. Still nothing! Anyone encounter anything similar with a '96 Sport? I don't know where else to look. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you checked the groungs
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
have you checked the groungs
Not quite sure how to check those. Details please?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

if you remove the turn signal lens in fromt of battery hook the test light/meter to the postive side of battery take the other end and test the bulb socket it should light if one of the two contacts in the socket are grounded its reverse of checking for volts
Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

turn signal switch in arm is suspect here to as you checked all fuse for 12 volts on both sides correct feed and supply
Old 02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

i know this sounds dumb but did you check your bulbs? or the bulb sockets... stranger things have happened...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
i know this sounds dumb but did you check your bulbs? or the bulb sockets... stranger things have happened...
that be some thing all 4 bulbs bad lol
Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Originally Posted by freegdr
that be some thing all 4 bulbs bad lol
i brought a jeep like that... that is why it was for sale it had no turn signals.. turns out 2 bulbs where bad and the other 2 the sockets were rusty... so thats why i say to check it... just going by experince... I hated the 2.8 it had tho...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

fret no longer my friend, I have the same truck and three weeks ago i had the same problem. feel under your knee panel dash thing. it should be to the right of your steering wheel that you feel two square relays, you will find that one is red and one is blue. The blue relay is actually multifunction and controls both your hazards and your signals. I ran into a problem where my signals wouldn't do anything at all. So I removed the entire relay panel (two screw cap thingys) and looked on the back portion of the panel where the blue relay sits. After studying the wiring diagram for the whole duration of going to the bathroom, I realized that the panel was fed hot at all times power from the pdc under the hood and that it recieved switched power from the fuse panel under the dash. So instead of rippingoff the fuse panel (nightmare), I decided to jump the hot at all times with the fused power. I believe it was tan and red, however once you get looking at it, it will be fairly obvious what to do. You can also try replacing the multi function flasher, but its about twenty bucks so get one from the wreckers, fyi you can also take them from Grand Cherokees of the same year, just look for the same steering column cover and you will know its okay to dig in that one.

Before I figured out it was the flasher, I replaced the chassis grounds, engine grounds, cleaned all contact in the PDC, I cleaned the contacts in the ignition switch and the turn signal switch, and replaced a couple of sockets and cut and connectored the harness for the front lights under the air filter box. Trust me, try the relay first. Please, its the easiest and all you might need is a jumper wire.

The end result of my fix, is that the ignition switch has to be on in order to use the 4 ways.

hope this helps.

refer to my other post "Cherokee Teeth Puller"
Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves

for my i had no hazards cuz there is a red wire going to my battery and it was not connected to the battery. it conrolled my brake lightss and hazards start there
Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM

Look at a wiring diagram.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MisAdventure
fret no longer my friend, I have the same truck and three weeks ago i had the same problem. feel under your knee panel dash thing. it should be to the right of your steering wheel that you feel two square relays, you will find that one is red and one is blue. The blue relay is actually multifunction and controls both your hazards and your signals. I ran into a problem where my signals wouldn't do anything at all. So I removed the entire relay panel (two screw cap thingys) and looked on the back portion of the panel where the blue relay sits. After studying the wiring diagram for the whole duration of going to the bathroom, I realized that the panel was fed hot at all times power from the pdc under the hood and that it recieved switched power from the fuse panel under the dash. So instead of rippingoff the fuse panel (nightmare), I decided to jump the hot at all times with the fused power. I believe it was tan and red, however once you get looking at it, it will be fairly obvious what to do. You can also try replacing the multi function flasher, but its about twenty bucks so get one from the wreckers, fyi you can also take them from Grand Cherokees of the same year, just look for the same steering column cover and you will know its okay to dig in that one.

Before I figured out it was the flasher, I replaced the chassis grounds, engine grounds, cleaned all contact in the PDC, I cleaned the contacts in the ignition switch and the turn signal switch, and replaced a couple of sockets and cut and connectored the harness for the front lights under the air filter box. Trust me, try the relay first. Please, its the easiest and all you might need is a jumper wire.

The end result of my fix, is that the ignition switch has to be on in order to use the 4 ways.

hope this helps.

refer to my other post "Cherokee Teeth Puller"
Yeah, the flasher was $25. I'll try checking the grounds and pulling that relay block and checking for both the constant hot and the switchable hot. Finding a wiring diagram for a '96 has been a nightmare!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM

your 96 xj may have the same wiring as a 97 keep that in mind.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Engine: 4.0l

With the age of your vehicle I would check the wiring under your air filter box for a broken wire. My 96 had the same problem last year where my turn signals stopped working, but hazzard did. Checked, bulbs, sockets, grounds and started tracing wiring and found the wires had corroded at broken at the connecter under the air filter box. Thought I would have to replace the whole harness, so asked a jeep dealer mechanic friend and he said "We have see this on older vehicles and just cut out the connector, there us usually just enough wire to solder them together or just leave the connector in place and jump the broken wires and bypass the connector" I jumped my 3 broken wires and my lights work fine. Will get around to removing the connector when weather is better and I have more time.