Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NO BUS message need help diagnosing for three weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NO BUS message need help diagnosing for three weeks

So my jeep died three weeks ago, its a 2001 base auto. I had no fuel pressure so in a quick diagnosis i decided it must me the fuel pump as i was getting a ride to work. I replaced the fuel pump but still nothing. as i looked further into it i had the NO BUS message on the dash. I did more testing and found my output voltage to be a little low but not terrible. I replaced the CPS and it kinda sputtered a little but still would not run. I went over the entire jeep and cleaned every ground. Now it started, I let it run while i was putting everything back together. Then it quit as if i turned off the key and would not start. Take two I disconnected cleaned and reconnected every connector in the engine bay. still nothing. sometimes the fuel pump will run but will not stop after priming, when the fuel pump comes on the e-fan comes on. I narrowed this issue down a little as sometimes my mini fuses and my relays do not receive power at the pdc but the maxi fuses do.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM

so i have found a couple of pinched wires in the engine harness and fixed them. It then fired right up ran for five minutes shut down. and then did the same thing three more times and now it wont start again. fuel pump either wont run or wont shut off again. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 PM

I am ready to burn this thing to the ground. i have not had a vehicle in three weeks anyone in east central alberta have a pcm i can borrow to see if that is my issue.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckvidler
I am ready to burn this thing to the ground. i have not had a vehicle in three weeks anyone in east central alberta have a pcm i can borrow to see if that is my issue.
That's what I was going to suggest trying.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually here you go.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/fixing-no-bus-message-gauge-cluster-88247/
Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by chuckvidler
So my jeep died three weeks ago, its a 2001 base auto. I had no fuel pressure so in a quick diagnosis i decided it must me the fuel pump as i was getting a ride to work. I replaced the fuel pump but still nothing. as i looked further into it i had the NO BUS message on the dash. I did more testing and found my output voltage to be a little low but not terrible. I replaced the CPS and it kinda sputtered a little but still would not run. I went over the entire jeep and cleaned every ground. Now it started, I let it run while i was putting everything back together. Then it quit as if i turned off the key and would not start. Take two I disconnected cleaned and reconnected every connector in the engine bay. still nothing. sometimes the fuel pump will run but will not stop after priming, when the fuel pump comes on the e-fan comes on.

I narrowed this issue down a little as sometimes my mini fuses and my relays do not receive power at the pdc but the maxi fuses do.
How did you determine this?

It would be very odd for the maxi fuses to be powered and not the mini fuses. They're on the same bus bar in the PDC.

Have you pulled the small cover off on the front end of the PDC to see if there's corrosion in the connections there?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM

I used a voltmeter to test my fuses both in volts and continuity to make sure it was not a weak fuse. Its actually only the mini fuses pertaining to the pcm that do not show voltage. none of my relays would engage. it was getting dark last night so i didn't check if any of the relay circuits had any voltage. I did pull the cover and cleaned the connections. Tested a brand new battery no change.

Last edited by chuckvidler; 06-18-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Awesomeness
Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Still cant get this thing running got me plum confused and makes that jerry can look awful tempting.