Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Bus with a check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Bus with a check engine light

Ok everyone. I searched on here and found some stuff on this "No Bus" indicator on my 1999 Cherokee 4.0. I took the cluster out and cleaned the connectors. Put it back together and ... nothing. No gauges and a check engine light comes on. No codes are thrown. My Question is when I did a self test of the gauge cluster everything acted normal. But as soon as I start the vehicle I get no gauges. It runs fine so does that tell me the Crank sensor is good???? Should I replace the connectors on the back of the gauge cluster??? I'm Lost any suggestions??
Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KensXJ
Ok everyone. I searched on here and found some stuff on this "No Bus" indicator on my 1999 Cherokee 4.0. I took the cluster out and cleaned the connectors. Put it back together and ... nothing. No gauges and a check engine light comes on. No codes are thrown. My Question is when I did a self test of the gauge cluster everything acted normal. But as soon as I start the vehicle I get no gauges. It runs fine so does that tell me the Crank sensor is good???? Should I replace the connectors on the back of the gauge cluster??? I'm Lost any suggestions??
Edit:

Disregard. Saw that you have a '99.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

CCKen, What were you going to say? I need all the help I can get on this one!!!!!!

Last edited by KensXJ; 07-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

I've made several attempts to post a reply to your thread but twice now I get a popup that says that my token has expired and the reply I created goes away. I'm pissed.

I will attempt it again in a bit.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

By the sounds of it, your CPS is okay.

You may have to change the instrument cluster connector per the TSB, maybe not. See this thread about the change:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/fi...cluster-88247/

The instrument cluster is an important element in the Chrysler Crash Detection (CCD) Data Bus. If there is a problem with the cluster, or its connection to the CCD Bus, you may get a NOBUS situation.

To show you the connection to the CCD Bus, here's a pinout of connector C2 (the one replaced by the TSB):

Name:  InstrumentClusterC2pinot.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  110.4 KB

And its location:

Name:  XJINSTRUMENTPANEL.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  529.5 KB

Note that pin cavities 1 and 2 in C2 are connected to the CCD Bus.

I'm going to send this now before my token expires. Will follow up.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

There may be other causes for a NOBUS besides a faulty cluster connection but since your messing with the cluster at this point you may as well continue.

I see that your cluster responds to the Instrument Cluster Actuator Test. This is good.

~~~~~~~

There are several things you can try before changing the C2.

I have read an account of an XJ owner fixing a NOBUS by cleaning the PCM ground wires near the alternator. This ground point is called G101. Here's a pic of its location. You can try removing the ring terminals from these ground studs and cleaning the terminals to remove any traces of corrosion then securing them back in place. If you do this, retry to see if the NOBUS goes away.

You can see that G101 is at the coil bracket.

Name:  G101.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  92.7 KB

~~~~~~~~

There are several other fixes out there but most are related to a dead instrument cluster, not a NOBUS.

If you Google "Jeep No Bus" you'll get a lot of hits. You can read through these.

Several fixers say they cleaned the connectors and packed them with dielectric grease. DO NOT pack the connectors with this crap. Dielectric grease is an insulator and will only agrivate a loose pin/cavity connection.

One interesting fix is to tweak the pins just a hair using needle nose pliers or tweezers. I think the only pins you need to try this on would be pins 1 and 2 in connector C2. Give it a try.

Another account was to undock the two connectors from the instrument panel structure and connect the to the cluster and hold them tight while you see if it fixes anything. If so, it could mean the connector pin cavities aren't grabbing tightly and you may need to replace C2 per the TSB.

Try a few of these things and get back.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:28 AM

Question Dielectic grease (oops)

I saw in several threads to use the dielectric grease. It didn't help my situation. Is there anything like contact cleaner to remove the grease from the C2 and pins?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by WBlanche
I saw in several threads to use the dielectric grease. It didn't help my situation. Is there anything like contact cleaner to remove the grease from the C2 and pins?

Try CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.