Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OVERHEATING! Need expert help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OVERHEATING! Need expert help!

I have 90' Jeep cherokee with 4.0 I6. About a week ago it overheated on a 2 mile trek from home. The serpentine belt jumped off during this overheating. When I checked water pump,bearings seemed to be shot. Below is what I replaced.

water pump
thermostat
serpentine belt (since I had it apart)
Overflow tank and cap
radiator hoses

I burped motor thru the temp sensor on back of block and it still overheated. I checked clutch fan to see if it would spin after motor was at operating temp and it is nice and tight as it should be.

As I drive on the highway it heats up to normal temp of 210. As soon as I exit into city traffic temp increases almost to red in a few blocks before I shut it down.

When first started overflow tank is a little under half full. It gets to the point where it builds so much pressure it fills overflow tank up and starts to leak out of tank.

Help Jeep family!!!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Im not if this applies to your year jeep but my 88 that i had theres a metal spring that sits in the lower hose on the water pump side which prevents it from choking itself from coolant
Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

When first started overflow tank is a little under half full. It gets to the point where it builds so much pressure it fills overflow tank up and starts to leak out of tank."
Start with a compression test.

"I checked clutch fan to see if it would spin after motor was at operating temp and it is nice and tight as it should be."
Not a realistic test, for a measly $30 just replace it if the motor isn't trashed.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
When first started overflow tank is a little under half full. It gets to the point where it builds so much pressure it fills overflow tank up and starts to leak out of tank."
Start with a compression test.

"I checked clutch fan to see if it would spin after motor was at operating temp and it is nice and tight as it should be."
Not a realistic test, for a measly $30 just replace it if the motor isn't trashed.

Yes and Yes. As old as your XJ is flush the system "Very Well" including the heater core and for a $100 just replace the radiator as well cheap and a good idea from an upkeep point of view also.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:29 PM

What do you think the chance is that the motor might have been damaged during first overheating? Ive never let it get to the red on the gauge, but I was talking to one person that thought because the cooling system was building up so much pressure that I might have damage my motor somehow.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by tommyxj2000
Im not if this applies to your year jeep but my 88 that i had theres a metal spring that sits in the lower hose on the water pump side which prevents it from choking itself from coolant
That spring has mystified me for years.
Cruiser54 mentioned that it is only there for factory building process, to prevent collapse when a machine fills the system. Not necessary thereafter.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:25 PM

I had a guy tell me to do the fluid test that shows if you have exhaust gases in my coolant. Which I dont have a problem doing. I guess because I never let it get to the red that I'm hoping no damage is in the head or anything. It seems to run perfect (other than overheating). No coolant in the oil or sweet smell or anything.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM

I never noticed the spring when I pulled off the lower radiator hose to replace the water pump. I'm not sure if I have one in there or not. My gut tells me Ive got air in the system and lack of flow, but I'm not familiar enough with the 4.0 motor to be sure.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Everyone gets so hung up on that spring in the lower hose. It doesn't matter if it is there or not.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 PM

I guess I'm starting w flushing the system with the prestone fill n flush kit
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by chrs93
What do you think the chance is that the motor might have been damaged during first overheating? Ive never let it get to the red on the gauge, but I was talking to one person that thought because the cooling system was building up so much pressure that I might have damage my motor somehow.
According to the guys on this forum, my motor should be dead with the amount of time I've let it run too hot. But that inline 6 keeps chugging. Maybe it'll die tomorrow. Still runs great now though.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 PM

That makes me feel better.

I just drove home (5 miles all highway). stayed right around 210. I excited the highway and went thru one light, maybe 1/2 a mile and I was almost in the red. What really getting me is that I popped my hood and the overflow tank was swollen up like a balloon. How/Why is it building so much pressure so quickly?????
Old 04-25-2015, 10:01 PM

Year: 99

Regarding yhe mysterious spring,I've heard both that yoh need it and that you don't. ....if i took it out i would put it back in
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Well I just flushed the system w the Prestone setup. Filled it, burped it and let it idle for about 25 mins. It got up around 210/212 and never went above. The real test will be driving home and seeing how it does. What baffles me is that my coolant level in overflow always increases to the point of over expansion.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Get a new brand name radiator cap (12 lbs) and report back....

Quick Reply: OVERHEATING! Need expert help!