Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No BS. Need a dead on answer please. Power or Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default No BS. Need a dead on answer please. Power or Comfort?

Ok, so Im going to be putting all my tune up "goodies" on my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo soon, and I just have a question. And I know when I ask this its going to start this huge arguement, but:

Which is better for the Jeep and mileage?

Comfort or Power?

I currently have it on power now, and it seems to drive a bit better, but I dont know if its eating more gas. Please just give me a straight answer, and dont argue
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly do not know if there is a difference. The only thing the Power/Comfort selector does is change the shift points in the trans. On Comfort it will shift sooner at a lower RPM for a smoother gear transition, and on Power it allows the engine to reach the higher RPMs to access the higher horsepower/torque range for long uphill roads or towing.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

that power/comfort switch is the old style Drive/overdrive switch, no you don't have a special high performance jeep tranny... its just an "A" typical tranny on an older jeep and instead of there being a shift setting with the shifter its just a simple switch to the right of your steering wheel below the dash gauges......

does that answer your question cuz yes it is dead on
Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run a tank of gas through on one setting doing all your everday normal driving routine and mark down the milage.

Then fill up again, switch to the other setting and do the same thing, drive it normal everyday just how you would during your normal routine and mark the miliage down.

I have no experience with that switch myself. Different year, different tranny etc etc.

But if I had that button and was curious thats how I would go about figuring it out.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by winston427
I honestly do not know if there is a difference. The only thing the Power/Comfort selector does is change the shift points in the trans. On Comfort it will shift sooner at a lower RPM for a smoother gear transition, and on Power it allows the engine to reach the higher RPMs to access the higher horsepower/torque range for long uphill roads or towing.
This is exactly correct, it has nothing to do with drive/overdrive. On my former XJ with 30" tires, it drove a lot better with it on the power setting and I got just a little better city mileage too, since it revved just a little higher and didn't bog the engine. The comfort setting was just too mushy with the slightly larger than stock tires. I can't remember what year they took that switch out, I want to say '96 but don't quote me on that, but they permanently fixed the shift points to what had previously been the "power" setting.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

The power/comfort selection was only available in the 87-91 models.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by 4Doors
This is exactly correct, it has nothing to do with drive/overdrive. On my former XJ with 30" tires, it drove a lot better with it on the power setting and I got just a little better city mileage too, since it revved just a little higher and didn't bog the engine. The comfort setting was just too mushy with the slightly larger than stock tires. I can't remember what year they took that switch out, I want to say '96 but don't quote me on that, but they permanently fixed the shift points to what had previously been the "power" setting.
what do you think the difference between shift points is???? Drive and over drive... Comfort is for gas mileage thus it shifts sooner so its doesn't get into high rpms which sucks more fuel ( shifts around 3 to 3.5 K rpms )
Power is for more rpms which leads to slighty to worse gas mileage because of later shift points. ( shifts around 4-5 K rpms)
trust me on this one its basically a drive/overdrive switch
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003

Get a manual? All problems now solved.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
what do you think the difference between shift points is???? Drive and over drive... Comfort is for gas mileage thus it shifts sooner so its doesn't get into high rpms which sucks more fuel ( shifts around 3 to 3.5 K rpms )
Power is for more rpms which leads to slighty to worse gas mileage because of later shift points. ( shifts around 4-5 K rpms)
trust me on this one its basically a drive/overdrive switch

Overdrive has nothing to do with shift points. It is an additional gear for highway driving to lower engine RPM and reduce fuel consumption.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Overdrive has nothing to do with shift points. It is an additional gear for highway driving to lower engine RPM and reduce fuel consumption.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

This is the truth. Overdrive is a gear, not a shift point. Power/Comfort is similar to having a Tow/Haul mode (like my Heavy Chevy). It is just two different presets for the transmission to use regarding RPMs and when it shifts.

I would bet Comfort is more economic. At higher RPMs you spend substantially more gas, like if you were to floor it from every red light. I'd like to see it tested, though. If you check the fuel economy, let us know what the results are.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 PM

Engine: blown 4.7

The switch just raises shift points by a predetermined rpm, in my galant it would keep out of o.d. longer. Some cars have the same effect when o.d. cancel is pushed. The switch in my jeep makes it shift smoother in power, it acts more like a cvt which is just not right.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

My switch stoped working so its stuck in comfort,it just makes it shift smoother/sooner.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM

The more power you put in a vehicle the more fuel consumption it takes.
They made those switches so that the driver have the choice which one to use during different driving conditions...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

i have the ax15 tranny so i dont know hahaha

Quick Reply: No BS. Need a dead on answer please. Power or Comfort?