Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default newbie help

Hi there i just registered and have a few question.

first off i just got a 99 cherokee sport on a trade and am fixing it up. My question is my tailgate wont open, I ordered a new tailgate handle and replaced it, but it still wont open, the peice that holds the rod to the handle keeps slipping out, I just tried gorrila glue to hold it on but are there any other suggestions?

Also my truck has about 237k on the engine and runs and drives good, just wondering about your opinions on how much to do to it with those miles, here is a list of goals for it

Tune up
replace track bar
replace leaky radiator
new tires and wheels
possible performance updates

THis has the 4.0l auto 4wd
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Sorry, not familiar with the tailgate handle construction of the 99. Sounds like you need a clip or some odd for the rod thing. I lube mine regularly. As for you mileage, long way to go, my Peep is 493000+km and goin. Change your oil and filter regularly and keep your cooling system in good shape and your 4.0 will go on and on.
Good ideas on a website "gojeep.com" good luck on the latch thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Engine: 4.0

Ive been through this one. There is a small clip that connects the the handle to a steel rod. Take the inner gate panel off and find this small green or blue clip. The steel rod is threaded and there for adjustable. You need to spin the clip on the end of the rod one way or the other until the handle will move the rod enough to open the gate.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 PM

thanks for the heads up on engine, I will be keeping fluids up and changed only fluid i havent changed is tranny fluid as in i have heard many horror stories about doing it. As for the tailgate handle, i ll let you know tomorrow if the glue worked, as in to fully set up it takes roughly 4 hrs or so.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM

ill try adjusting the rod after the glue sets up thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

There you go Ottis, AutomaticK has the inside scoop to the rod and clip.
As for the trans fluid, I'm still running the original AW4 auto and NP231 transfercase.
Dextron fluid for both. New filter and gasket when you do the transmission pan, wipe the pan clean of that fine silt, that's worn metal, in all, all transmissions!, no way around it. Just be sure to wipe it out of the pan during the service. Change the fluid and filter from the pan only. No need at this time to remover the valve body, and get another face full of fluid. This is only service time, not rebuild. I hear the stories about touching the trans and all hades breaks loose. Not my experience in any of my vehicles. My choice is change the filter and fluid. Research it and go with what you are comfortable with.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by peep
There you go Ottis, AutomaticK has the inside scoop to the rod and clip.
As for the trans fluid, I'm still running the original AW4 auto and NP231 transfercase.
Dextron fluid for both. New filter and gasket when you do the transmission pan, wipe the pan clean of that fine silt, that's worn metal, in all, all transmissions!, no way around it. Just be sure to wipe it out of the pan during the service. Change the fluid and filter from the pan only. No need at this time to remover the valve body, and get another face full of fluid. This is only service time, not rebuild. I hear the stories about touching the trans and all hades breaks loose. Not my experience in any of my vehicles. My choice is change the filter and fluid. Research it and go with what you are comfortable with.
X2, Dont forget the Transfer Case, and welcome to CF. Check all the ujoints all you have to do try to move the drive shaft an any direction while youre under there. depending on how new the water pump is, you might as well put a new water pump on whill the radiator is out. Keep the maint. up and the 4.0 will last for a long(er) time.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Engine: 4.0

Ive got a buddy with a 2000,we both had the same issue at the same time.Its easier to put the clip in the handle then put the rod in the clip. Come to think of it when something goes wrong with mine,shorty after it goes on his.This has happened several times.I looked at the build dates yesterday....they are 3 months apart.

Last edited by AutomaticKrackr; 03-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Smile

good news Tail gate handle is fixed and it opens good.

Now on slowly to my other projects, Tracbar is getting changed tomorrow, radiator is getting changed with next my next check, and tires then as i get money ill do upgrades! Want to keep my jeep stock cause nothing beats the look of a good ol Jeep!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM

i'm a newbie too, but with good experience. good job with the handle though. what did the trick? if it was the gorilla glue don't expect that to last too awful long it needs a real anchor. as for the tranny fluid, with those miles probably needs changed and yes you have to drop the fluid pan to get the filter. but nothin a shop rag to wipe off with and a tube of high temp. rtv wont get ya through.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 AM

it was actually just alot of WD40 sprayed on the latch itself, it was pretty rusted and wasnt moving easily, now it does without the clip falling out of the handle. The only thing i didnt get hooked up is the lock cylinder, but we can hit the power unlock to unlock it instead of the key!