Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newb, Need Some Help (starting issue)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Newb, Need Some Help (starting issue)

I have a 97 and could use some advise. I’m having some starting trouble. I’ve done a bunch of poking around online and when I search for my symptoms all I get are people who’s jeeps take forever to crank, which is not the issue. When I turn the key from accessory to the position where it should crank, sometimes it cranks but with increasing regularity now, when I turn the key into the crank position I get nothing, no cranking just a pause. After a few seconds of holding in the crank position it will turn over and fire right up no problem, but it’s getting worse sometimes it will be 20 full seconds, sometimes it will be 20 seconds of trying then key off, on, 20 more seconds, then off and back on then no hesitation at all. Pretty unpredictable, although hasn’t failed to fire up eventually on me yet. Although I don’t want to wait until that day comes. Also when it gives me a hard time it typically idles rough for a few seconds then smooths out. Once she’s going she runs great. Has 172k, could it be the starter? CPS? Something els... didn’t count really find anyone with my exact problem, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Old 02-06-2020, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 193 Posts
Year: '96
Engine: 4.0 HO

Certainly sounds like a connection issue to me, just finding where will be the fun part. Ignition at the steering wheel, somewhere between there and the where ever else the wires run from there. Computer, fuse box, starter, etc... Do all your gauges and radio come on when in ACC before you go to crank?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMtn96XJ
Certainly sounds like a connection issue to me, just finding where will be the fun part. Ignition at the steering wheel, somewhere between there and the where ever else the wires run from there. Computer, fuse box, starter, etc... Do all your gauges and radio come on when in ACC before you go to crank?
Yes all my gauges come on in ACC, was really hoping there were a couple guys who’ve had the same issue and it just one of the odd miscellaneous things that happens. Just moments ago I had to run out, motor was cold and it didn’t crank after 15-20 seconds holding the key twice, then on the third time it fires right up no hesitation between ACC and crank. No problems when running, shortly after I got back I had to out again and the motor was still about 140 degrees, same thing as before on the cold motor but typically it’s not as much an issue when it’s warm. And it’s been progressively getting a bit worse and worse as about a week in a half ago it was just a slight 3 second pause which had me thinking there was some part deteriorating or slowly starting to go over an electrical issue, but again I am still a newb although I’m on my 2nd XJ, still new to them.

thanks for the input and anything els is greatly appreciated,
matt
Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

I have a haynes manual at home with wiring diagrams. I'll find some time this evening to look in there and see what I can find... Maybe I can find something in the diagram along the wiring route that could possibly cause the delay in cranking. I'm wondering if its not a connectin issue, if something has to charge before it cranks,or something... capacitor, or a solenoid is acting up...
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

See if this leads you in a good direction
Old 02-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

You may have a couple problems,

First, check the battery connections and clean the terminals. While you are doing that, inspect the battery cables.

I would also see if it could be the Neutral Safety Switch starting to go. Next time you turn the key to start, and it does nothing, try jiggling the shifter while it is in park and see if that does anything. Also, check to see if your reverse lights are working. Another symptom of the Neutral safety switch going bad is that the reverse lights will not work.

One thing you will find out as a Jeep owner, problems are common. (Just Empty Every Pocket)

They are also easier and cheaper to fix than other vehicles.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Is there an echo in the forum? Hahahaahha
Old 02-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992

The NSS threw me for a loop the first time it acted up. I have not fixed it yet, because it only acts up when its cold and damp. Otherwise, works fine. Hoping to get to it when the weather warms up.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Any updates? Lemme know if you need to see chapter 5 or 12 from the Haynes manual....
Old 02-10-2020, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

My vote is loose or corroded battery cables.

I second the excellent advise to that effect.

Matt, you'll find that a very common refrain around here when dealing with an electrical issue is "check/clean your grounds". This is sage advice - an XJ is a 20+ year old vehicle and many have hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Before you can even begin to properly diagnose and troubleshoot an electrical issue, you need to have a solid base. Therefore, if for nothing else than maintenance, make sure you take apart all the ground wires, clean the mating surfaces to shiny bare metal and reconnect them so they are tight. A major point is on the block near the ignition coil, and one in the left side of the cargo bay, but anywhere where a wire connects is worth cleaning up.
While you're at it, take a good hard look at the wires. Most are 20 years old - if at any point in time moisture seeped under the sheathing, it could have rust, corrosion, etc. Battery cables are well know to suffer from this, so even if it doesn't visually "look" bad, it might be. Look for stiffness, cracked sheathing, etc.
You can decide for yourself if it might be worthwhile to replace the cables, but if they are not obviously newer - I'd replace them regardless of how they look (I did this on my 95). I went with an upgrade cable from a respected member of the forum, I'd recommend them, but he recently stopped taking orders. Again, I would and did replace my battery cables since they're so important to starting/charging/running, but a good cleaning and tightening may be sufficient for you.

Please report back with what you find. Your experiences may help the next guy and we're always eager to know a problem has been solved.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:21 PM

Thank you guys for all the replies, I apologize for not getting back sooner, haven’t had much time to get to the bottom of my issue. This upcoming Sunday will be soonest chance I get to really spend a bit of time on the Jeep. I seriously appreciate the input, I have tinted taillights not very dark but “smoked” and did notice when I re installed them after tinting, the reverse lights were delayed, they didn’t work when I first would go in reverse but would flick on after maybe 30 seconds, and I’d notice it’d be very dark behind me while backing up but I’d blame it on the taillights being tinted and haven’t gave much thought to it, today backing into a parking garage I noticed I couldn’t see my reverse lights up against the concrete wall, and sure enough they weren’t on. Which points me into the direction of the NSS, as well as the weather where I am (MA) has been cold and wet recently which could be the reason it’s been so bad if it’s the NSS, the last couple days it’s been rather cold 25-35 but dry and I haven’t had much of an issue in the last couple days I’ve got in it and been pleasantly suppressed with no hesitation and starting on the first try with a cold motor, although half the time it won’t go on the time but on the 2nd time of pushing they key into crank position it fires right up opposed to taking me 2 minutes on the 3rd-4th try if taking key in and out when it’s been cold and wet. It’s currently wet out and it’s been the first time it’s gave me a real hard time with a really really rough idle in the last couple days. I will take some of yalls advise and hopefully find some free time soon to this out. After a little reading and what you guys have said here, sounds like the neutral safety switch due to I.T acting up with the rain and cold, and the reverse lights, I should also add when it starts right up I do have reverse lights they are not “out out” if that makes sense. NSS sound like the problem? I could be very wrong but would love to hear some more thoughts. Thanks for all the input guys, great community here.
Thanks, Matt
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Where in MA? I'm in Groton, which is sort of "north central" if you're not familiar. An hour west of Boston (without traffic), 45 min northeast of Worcester.

Definitely clean your NSS and freshen up your connections/grounds and cables if nothing else when you get a chance. None of those cost money and should be easy enough to get done in a few hours time. (NSS not so sure myself as I'm a manual guy)

Usually reverse lights being wonky plus your other symptoms would point to NSS as I understand it.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 370 Likes on 330 Posts
Year: 2000

Sometimes northeast NSSs don't cooperate when you go to yank them out:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/nss-replace-251483/
Old 02-11-2020, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 370 Likes on 330 Posts
Year: 2000

Keep this workaround in mind should things start to go awry:

Old 02-11-2020, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Look in the "great info thread here" sticky and there is a spot way down that has all of the grounding points for 97-01 cherokees. and a lot of other good electrical info.

Quick Reply: Newb, Need Some Help (starting issue)