Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to XJ's.....please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New to XJ's.....please help.

Hey guys, im new semi new to Xj's, i know my way around a truck alright and have taken trucks out wheeling but finally got the money for my own. My current truck has a 5 inch lift and 35's on it, but i just bought 33inch pro comp mud terrains for it. its an 89 cherokee with the 4.0l auto. again being new not sure on the t case or the transmission. but i do know it has the dana 30 in front and the dana 35 in rear. Heres my problem, the guy who owned it before me used it as a daily driver and i dont think he upgraded the axles at all. I know he didnt take it out 4wheeling because he got the lift from a friend just to add height and there seems to be no abuse to the underneath. The part i have trouble with is figureing out the right axle upgrades and what specifically to buy. I have an axle shop near buy and were currently in talks about taking the axles out of my Ramcharger thats sitting in the yard and putting them in the jeep with some modifications. But i was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what else to buy, what gearing to go with ect ect. Itll be pretty much just a trail rig but will be driven to where i take it off road. (gas isnt an issue) So if you have suggestions and any information would help me very much.

Thank you
Shawn
Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

if you plan on running only 33's. i would go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. depending on how hard you will wheel it you might want to consider lockers as well, but its not mandatory. try www.ringpinion.com, they got some good stuff and they should be able to help you out. good luck man.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

thank you very much, yeah i am thinking lockers in it because i know ill start wheeling it lightly at first, then all want to do more intense stuff so i figure get it all put in before i do worse damage pushing it to hard.