Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New tail light sockets needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default New tail light sockets needed

Due to some pretty unbelievable rust in my rear wheel wells, the back side of my tail lights is directly exposed to the elements, and more specifically, to the spray from my tires. Which is, obviously, really bad. They're all just rusted to hell, and a lot of the wires have rusted completely off, and it's time to rebuild them.

So I bought new tail light assemblies, but obviously, they don't come with new sockets, and I really need new sockets; I was hoping to clean the existing ones up, but there's just no way. Where can I buy new tail light sockets for my 92 XJ? Or am I just going to have to harvest them from something in the boneyard?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Originally Posted by 3278
Due to some pretty unbelievable rust in my rear wheel wells, the back side of my tail lights is directly exposed to the elements, and more specifically, to the spray from my tires. Which is, obviously, really bad. They're all just rusted to hell, and a lot of the wires have rusted completely off, and it's time to rebuild them.

So I bought new tail light assemblies, but obviously, they don't come with new sockets, and I really need new sockets; I was hoping to clean the existing ones up, but there's just no way. Where can I buy new tail light sockets for my 92 XJ? Or am I just going to have to harvest them from something in the boneyard?
I got mine from the junkyard bec I had the same problem you had. Just some heads up when you get one from the junkyard go to an auto place with them and get the light bulbs that way!!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to let you know that I found them at O'Riley's for 5.99 a piece. They were for a ford, not Jeep but they were the same thing that was in my jeep. I believe they were 71-83 Ford and they were on the shelf with the bulbs. I replaced the brake sockets and they work so far.