Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Sounds After Stock Wheeling

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default New Sounds After Stock Wheeling

So I took my stock xj out wheelin yesterday and it did awesome, except for getting hung up on my lower control arm and rear axle. Drove it home that night with no problems. Driving home from work today, I was making a long wide right turn and it made this terrible sound. The best I can describe it would be that it was like my underside was dragging along a rock. I checked it out underneath and nothing really seemed out of place, except for the rear driveshaft is not even a centimeter away from the drive shaft. Could it be that when I make a hard turn the muffler moves and hits the ds?

Any suggestions as to what it might be would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mtbfreak612
So I took my stock xj out wheelin yesterday and it did awesome, except for getting hung up on my lower control arm and rear axle. Drove it home that night with no problems. Driving home from work today, I was making a long wide right turn and it made this terrible sound. The best I can describe it would be that it was like my underside was dragging along a rock. I checked it out underneath and nothing really seemed out of place, except for the rear driveshaft is not even a centimeter away from the drive shaft. Could it be that when I make a hard turn the muffler moves and hits the ds?

huh???
did you break an exhaust hanger?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by mtbfreak612

You would know the answer to this sooner than anyone else on here. In the time it took you to post this you could have checked it out yourself.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by sportrider
huh???
did you break an exhaust hanger?
nope
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Your driveshaft is probably pressing into, and rotating against your exhaust tail pipe. Inspect the pipe for ware, and scratches.