Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 jeep cherokee laredo straight6 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 99 jeep cherokee laredo straight6 4.0

--No key light, --check engine, --low gas light, -truck cranks but will NOT start. -here is the scoop, truck was purchased not running, i belive it was a mechanical over-reving which bent a pushrod, did teardown, discovering bad pushrod on cylinder #4! yep, it was bent!,,, New pushrods installed, new spark plugs, upon turning key over, it displays no fuel, NO KEY LIGHT is on???? wait,do i have key in ignition???yep! Will crank just fine but, no start. -Started before i did all this,only with aq ping,ping,ping from bent pushrod...,, my question is---if the spark plugs are not making contact with the coil packs will it display these codes,(yes, i am lazy, and not sure i seated the coil pack rail correctly,) or, is it more to do with my crankshaft position sensor and i need to buy a new one of those??? Any help greatly appreciated...
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to be obvious...but how "low" is the fuel? Or is the indicator merely reading wrong?

Assuming there is sufficient fuel, I'd re-seat the coils and verifying you have spark before doing much else.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Crank/no start usually means CKP (crank position sensor) is not functioning..
Unless swapped, only 00-01 had the COP, and I believe that Laredo went away years before that as well. Up to 99 had a single coil pack, distributor, and spark plug wires.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Metmknice
and I believe that Laredo went away years before that as well.
I think you're right. '93 or so? Unless it's a Grand cherokee.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
I think you're right. '93 or so? Unless it's a Grand cherokee.
crap yea it is a grand cherokee laredo, i forgot to put that in my heading,,,ughhh ..anyway the spark plugs are a single rail with four bolts that hold the thing down,,, i took it apart, yep they are seated correct, what else can i try, i've already ordered a new cps....
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

An Update!!! I was able to solve the sentry key light/no start issue, by disconnecting battery/and unplugging pcm, i got the vehicle to start, however i'm back to the "knocking" noise ,as i previously stated.I've installed new pushrods! i held the throttle open, and said knocking stopped for a millisecond. I did oil change,only to discover tiny metal flakes in oil. Upon changing spark plugs, cylinder four/with bent rod/looked like it had detonated, sending ceramic/metal into that cylinder. While i had the vehicle running just now the coolant hose, going to thermostat shrank shut, as if it were under an EXTREME vacuum/ also blowing a cloud of white smoke out tailpipe before stalling and death! Please help!!!, what does this tell us, blown head gasket?/cylinder skirt/crankshaft???