Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Rear Axle Seals Are Leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Rear Axle Seals Are Leaking!

When I had my rear axle re geared there was some crud in the axle tubes that clogged up the vent tube valve for the diff. (Prolly when diff was turned upside down.) It took me a little bit to track down. I replaced the seals more than once, they leaked again, then I found out why.

Now that the vent tube is clear, the axle seals still leak fluid on my brakes and wheels. Even though there practically new seals are they blown out? Did the clogg cause that much pressure where now they wont seal? Or should they seal again once the pressure from the diff is now released from vent tube?

You all follow? lol So I was wondering if I should replace seals again or am I missing something. Replacing the seals are cheap and easy its just a bit time consuming and diff cover has to come off.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check your axle shafts out near the ends. If they are high milage axles, the seals will actually wear a groove in the axle shaft. If there is a groove, you'll never get it to seal even with new seals........and you would need to get replacement shafts.
They make axle repair bearing and seal assemblies, that move the bearing and seal out slightly to ride on a different part of the axle shaft, but if you wheel your Jeep, I wouldn't use them. I doubt they are strong enough.

If there is no groove, try micro-polishing the axle shaft with some emery cloth, or really fine sandpaper. You might have a nick, or a burr on the shaft.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I agree on the groves /\, happens. On something once, (forget what), I cut a disk to fit under where the seal goes home to hold it out some.

Just a thought...was it really pissin? I mean, if there where pressure there from a clogged vent could it have pushed some crud into the seal that otherwise would not have been a problem? Just a thought. good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I have spare shafts and I thought that was the culprit at first. So I put the other shafts in and didnt make a difference. Before this diff was re geared it never leaked. But when I saw the vent tube clogged so bad and I couldnt even push the crud through it was so thick I knew that was it. I had a spare one laying around that was clean. The axle shafts are fine though. No burrs. And When it leaks it pisses out, drippes off of the brake parts. The rear brakes are shot and when I stop the truck dips. I have a rear disc swap also. I was hoping that the next time this cover was gonna come off was for my unpurchased locker to go in and figured I would change the seals agen then. But because of funds looks like its only coming apart just to get seals.

Also the diff is not over filled. With the pinion angle sticking up more it takes less fluid so that could not be a culprit
Old 12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If your housing is bent the seals will leak.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it pisses out, then you either have the wrong seals(maybe they gave you the wrong ones when you purchased them) or your housing is damaged somehow. Maybe there is a gouge or crack at the end of your axle tube. There shouldn't be any pressure build up inside your axle or diff as long as your vent is clear.
Unless there was a cut or hole punctured in your seal, fluid would never just run out there. There's really not much fluid out in the ends of your axle tubes anyway.
Unless there is something preventing the fluid in the tubes from draining back into the differential.
When did you 1st notice this problem? When you did the re-gear?
Maybe when it was put back together, somehow something is blocked.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Im thinking that the seals are blown out. Maybe there is a buildup of gear lube in the brake parts like emergency brake assembly. A little bit of gear lube travels a long way. Its also been leaking out of the fill plug which I have replaced also. Since I fixed the tube vent valve I have driven it a bit but not much. Its not my DD but i have probably driven a few hundred miles and I still see dripping and heavy wetness

I really want to know if you guys thing the seals are blown or could be blown out from the cause.

The seals are deffenetly the right ones. They fit in housing perfectly and on axle tube. I need to take everything apart. Clean and replace my brake parts and go from there. I just dont want to put new brake pads on (not there that expensive but come on) and have them get ruined with gear lube.

I have a leaky bead on my tire so im reseating that tomorrow. Im gonna take it for a drive and get the diff warmed up and see if it still leaks. (ill take pics and maybe video)

One last thing I did notice that when the vent tube was plugged to the top frame rail, I would try to blow air in it and that seems clogged too (But never had leakage with my other rear axle) So I just leave the vent tube off the frame. But i do hook it up when I go wheeling hmmmmmmmm maybe im answering my own question.

Ok tmw Im gonna run some tests lol.

Oh and one final thing, When I had the axle shafts out I can see into the differential. There is no inner seal on the 8.25 its completely clear.

Last edited by mikeXJ1020; 12-08-2011 at 11:45 PM.