Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Unhappy New Purchase

Hey Guys, how's it going ? I just got myself a 1999 cherokee sport, 6cyl auto with 177,000. miles, it looks mint. no rust, and very well taken care of. Engine bay is clean, and during test drive and inspection before purchasing, I failed to notice a few things, that now after 3 days of ownership have become apparent. If you guys could shed some light on these three things so far, I'd appreciate it very much. Well, here we go;

Issue #1; when I put it in drive or reverse I hear and feel a thump. The jeep jumps a little either fwd or rev. I have read similar post, and some say U joint ?

Issue #2; I can't believe I missed this during the test drive but... when making a turn, either left or right, the steering wheel won't return on its own. I have to turn it back to center or it will continuously keep going on a circle.

Issue #3; the anti-freeze has recentlt been changed due to obvious fresh green look on the radiator. However the fluid that is on the expansion tank is milky and it has what looks like specs of oil. This is worrying me a lot...

Please Help guys, I am mechanicaly inclined, I work on my Volvo and my Harley as much as I can. But I'm not too good with names of parts and "mechanical explanations" also this is my first jeep.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

The one I would be most concerned about would be #3. I would start by removing the oil filler cap and take a good look inside and see if there is any sludge in there. I would also change the motor oil and check it for any sludge or if it's milky looking. But if it's probably just that the over flow bottle was never cleaned. Milky oil is something that you really don't want to put on the back burner. Because it can mean a bad head gasket or and cracked head. Before you get to concerned check the oil to make sure. As for #1 it can be a bad u-joint or a bad motor mount. #2 it can be a weak power steering pump or a loose belt. BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

+1 on #3.

#1 could also just be slack in the drivetrain beings you describe it as just a thump. BUT it should be checked out.

#2 could also be a bad steering stabilizer. Disconnect it and see what you got.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM

Thanks Robert, every fluid has been recently changed before I bought it, even the break fluid and steering fluid. So the engine oil is as of now fine clean and new.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks Ezearl. It's a thump or cluck together with the jeep roling or jumping fowrad in drive or back in reverse.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fons
Thanks Robert, every fluid has been recently changed before I bought it, even the break fluid and steering fluid. So the engine oil is as of now fine clean and new.
If it was me I would still change the oil. You can never be to couscous when it come to coolant in the oil. The water/coolant can cause a major problem with the bearings and if there is any in there (hope not) you can end up having to rebuild the engine. That's just me when it comes down to being over couscous with paying $25 to do an oil change or a couple grand having to rebuild the engine. BTW, I don't know if your 99 was built in the early part or late part of the year. But if it was built in the late part of the year they did start using the 0331 head which are known for cracking. You can take a look at the head and it will say if it is a 0331 head. With little luck you don't have one.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

It could also be a trans mount making your clunking noise or the rear brake shoes being out of adjustment not letting go.

I agree change the oil youself, put it in a clear jug like a cat litter jug or milk jugs. Then you can see if anything seperates like water or antifreeze. Some people change the oil just before selling so the new owner see's it's clean. Pull your oil cap and look into the valve cover for sludge or milky color oil. The first one is because they didn't change the oil in 15k, the other would mean a cracked head, head gasket type of problem.

Disconnect the overflow bottle, remove and wash out, if it doesn't come clean replace it, Dorman makes a replacement I think. If you can't see your level it's worthless.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks again Robert I will look into the engine number later this afternoon...
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM

hi Knever3, thanks for the tip. I have not noticed anything on top of engine with the cap open, I've been putting some miles on it this weekend, so later today I will look again and remove the expansion to clean it like you said.. and I'll post my findings..

Yesterday I asked a mechanic to take a look under the jeep, on the lift, he yanked pulled and tugged the axl and the u joints are fine according to him. he said it was coming from the trans, but that I had nothing to worry about for another 100,000 miles.
well, while on the lift, the other guy was going between neutral and drive, as I was looking, I noticed the back of the jeep jerking, along with some movement of the rear tires. The front seemed solid to me. Anyway I have to get a second and even third look.

My issue right now is that I'm recovering from a broken ankle, I am not mobile yet, gotta hop around with crutches, so working on the jeep myself is a challenge at this time. But I'll see what I can do...

Well, thanks again fellows, and I'll talk to you soon...

P.S. I started going into neutral, then letting go of the break, and sliding into Drive, there is a significant desrease of the thump/clunck. Could this mean anything ?

Last edited by Fons; 06-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Just a word of advice. If you do have coolant in the oil and you do keep driving it you will be in your Jeep for a whole lot more money then you have imagine. Just saying since you keep avoiding the worse of you 3 problem. I would forget about the other 2 and concentrate on the milky coolant. You will be sorry if you keep avoiding it.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ This is a serious issue and the way many people who flip cars they buy at auctions cover up expensive problems to get rid of them quickly. Not saying this is true with yours but have saw it happen many times being in the Wrecker business.

The way they cover it up is to clean and flush the cooling system ( they were cheap didn't replace recovery tank), then the oil. Just before a test drive everything clean and neet look at the radiator when cold also..

I hope everything I posted is BS and doesn't apply to you at all. But hey I'm an old guy 66 and when I bought my XJ thought I checked it out well also, well I didn't and it cost me a complete brake job including drums/calipers/lines/mc. So we all get a little excited at times and overlook things mine didn't show up till I took it in for an inspection
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock ride height or lifted?

Improper caster will cause "Return to Center" issues.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
^^ This is a serious issue and the way many people who flip cars they buy at auctions cover up expensive problems to get rid of them quickly. Not saying this is true with yours but have saw it happen many times being in the Wrecker business.

The way they cover it up is to clean and flush the cooling system ( they were cheap didn't replace recovery tank), then the oil. Just before a test drive everything clean and neet look at the radiator when cold also..

I hope everything I posted is BS and doesn't apply to you at all. But hey I'm an old guy 66 and when I bought my XJ thought I checked it out well also, well I didn't and it cost me a complete brake job including drums/calipers/lines/mc. So we all get a little excited at times and overlook things mine didn't show up till I took it in for an inspection
Yeah, I hope that I am wrong that he has a major problem. But there is no reason not to make sure that he doesn't. I really don't know why some ask for help and they don't want to hear that there may be a major problem and want to avoid it. That only cause them much more headaches and money. I have started working on vehicles since I was 10 years old with my dad and now I am 50 and I have seen this problem many time.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

$25
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

ETA:
The steering issue is probably caused by the steering gear over center adjustment. This will cause extreme wear and replacement of the steering gear should should be in your budget.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 06-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

For the thump when going into reverse or drive: Every automatic transmission Jeep my family has thumped and seemed to jolt when put in drive/reverse. One was at 240,000 before it died/became unreliable and its an electrical problem that drains the battery. My XJ has 170k and does it, my 91 had 211k and did it. Could it be a big issue? Yes, but I doubt it is.

As for the steering not returning: I can tell you it has nothing to do with the stabilizer. My XJ has no steering stablizer and it returns on its own except for the last couple degrees, My brothers XJ had the steering pump die at about 180k.

Cant help with the coolant as I personally just fill with mostly water, and most of my vehicles are beaters but keep driving.

Quick Reply: New Purchase