Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New O2's and exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6: 4.0 litre
Default New O2's and exhaust manifold

So, I just replaced the exhaust manifold (collector crack on the OEM; Typical) and I bored out the intake manifold, I also replaced the O2 sensors. My Question is how long does the computer usually take to re-register the input from the new sensors, especially since the replacement of the manifold.

My main reason for asking is that I am located at 10,000ft MSL, in sunny Colorado and the air is very very thin up here. The engine seems/seemed like it was enriching the mixture and stuttering the engine and now that I replaced everything Im wondering if I should expect quick results or if it will take some mileage before the engine re-adjusts.

Another question:

So the schematics state that I should torque the first sequence at 23ft/lbs and the next at 24ft/lbs and so on, when I had everything lined up there were major vacuum leaks. Needless to say I started the engine and it revved to 8,000 RPMs, tightened the bolts and the RPMs went down. I kept tightening until the RPMs got down to around 1,000 RPMs.

Obviously the bolts were tightened down greater than the set ft/lbs int he manual. Should I loosen the bolts back to the specks now that the engine is running at the right RPMs?