Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Michelin LTX: Nice!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Michelin LTX: Nice!

When I bought my 2000 XJ last January, I could see it would need new tires soon. It had what appeared to be a decent set of Coopers, but they were wearing out and just about done.

Yesterday I went to Discount Tire, where they always treat me well, and looked at a lot of different options. I found out Michelin is currently offering a $70 VISA card rebate. Suddenly, Michelin tires were in the same price range as the lower end tires I was considering.

I went with a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2. They have very deep tread and are pre-siped all the way through the tread. Yes, these tires are somewhat expensive. I don't mind as I'm very particular about tires due to a family friend dying in a horrific, fiery crash from a tire failure. While no tires are perfect, I've always been very happy with Michelin and they have a good reputation.

I drove to work this morning on the new tires and, wow, what a difference! Sure, my XJ still rides like a truck. I'd be disappointed if it didn't. But now it has a ride that's solid, firm and confident. With the previous tires, the ride was OK, but sometimes clunky and unsure.

These Michelins are by no means the tire for serious off-roading. But they are a little more aggressive than the typical all-season radial and I think they'll work nicely for mostly highway driving and occasional dirt road use. Based on my research, these tires are also very good for snow and ice, which I tend to drive on during Colorado winters.

Anyway, just wanted to share these tires work really well on an XJ and Michelin is offering a $70 VISA card rebate in case anyone is interested.

Last edited by Klutch; 04-09-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always nice to get a good buying tip!

I've used discount tire direct many times over the years. Always had a good experience.

You can't turn down michelins when they are on special. Never had a set that disappointed. There's a legitimate reason that they cost more than other brands. They're just that good.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 SE

Originally Posted by Klutch
When I bought my 2000 XJ last January, I could see it would need new tires soon. It had what appeared to be a decent set of Coopers, but they were wearing out and just about done.

Yesterday I went to Discount Tire, where they always treat me well, and looked at a lot of different options. I found out Michelin is currently offering a $70 VISA card rebate. Suddenly, Michelin tires were in the same price range as the lower end tires I was considering.

I went with a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2. They have very deep tread and are pre-siped all the way through the tread. Yes, these tires are somewhat expensive. I don't mind as I'm very particular about tires due to a family friend dying in a horrific, fiery crash from a tire failure. While no tires are perfect, I've always been very happy with Michelin and they have a good reputation.

I drove to work this morning on the new tires and, wow, what a difference! Sure, my XJ still rides like a truck. I'd be disappointed if it didn't. But now it has a ride that's solid, firm and confident. With the previous tires, the ride was OK, but sometimes clunky and unsure.

These Michelins are by no means the tire for serious off-roading. But they are a little more aggressive than the typical all-season radial and I think they'll work nicely for mostly highway driving and occasional dirt road use. Based on my research, these tires are also very good for snow and ice, which I tend to drive on during Colorado winters.

Anyway, just wanted to share these tires work really well on an XJ and Michelin is offering a $70 VISA card rebate in case anyone is interested.
That's what my wife's Commander sports. Excellent choice for moderate trail and highway use. A bit pricey but worth it. It drives and tracks extremely well.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I'm glad you guys agree. I usually wonder if I'm making the right decision when I have to pay big bucks for Michelins. Once I drive on them, I no longer wonder.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Nice choice Klutch. I opted for the LTX AT2, a very nice all-terrain tire for a daily driver.