Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Are the new Jeeps any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Are the new Jeeps any good?

I have a 95 Cherokee Sport XJ and as much as I really like this Jeep, it will have to be replaced someday. I was looking at the newer Jeeps and I noticed that consummer guide does not like Jeeps. They don't seem to like any American made vehicle.
Anyway, I was wondering what you (the experts in this field) think of the newer used models; say 2008 -2009. I'd like to get a similar body style as my 95 XJ. Would that be the Liberty? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

My neighbor has one that looks like a modern xj.. think its the commander.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

The Commander is bigger. The newer Liberty's (08+) look the most like the XJ's as any I have seen. I like them all right, but for an offroad rig you are going to hate the IFS. My wife wants one, and it looks good enough I would be ok with her driving it
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Wait till next year. Will get the Phoenix 3.6L. The aged 3.7L will be gone!

A Liberty with the 2.8L TDI looking interesting imo.
How well are the Nitro's for off-roading compared to the Liberty? They are the same body, but the Nitro offers the 4.0L V6 for 260hp and the 5-Speed Auto.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

if your going to get a new jeep get one with either sold axles and a locker aka Rubicon or a hemi WK. we just got a 07 WK for my sister and its a nice Jeep for DD use. if you want to wheel keep the XJ as the toy
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM

I have a Jeep Patriot 4x4. t has a 2.4L with the CVT transmission. It's ok for what it is I guess. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I wouldn't do any offroading with it but it does good on the snowy roads. It is front wheel drive normally. It is a lot cheaper then the other Jeep models.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by finiteguy
I have a 95 Cherokee Sport XJ and as much as I really like this Jeep, it will have to be replaced someday. I was looking at the newer Jeeps and I noticed that consummer guide does not like Jeeps. They don't seem to like any American made vehicle.

i wonder why. and yet toyotas with know issues are ranked higher. CR is a paid off joke
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thorguy57
I have a Jeep Patriot 4x4. t has a 2.4L with the CVT transmission. It's ok for what it is I guess. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I wouldn't do any offroading with it but it does good on the snowy roads. It is front wheel drive normally. It is a lot cheaper then the other Jeep models.
Those things with the 19:1 off-road ratio are actually quiet capable little vehicles.
Motortrend took one out and it was able to putt around with the big boys, and youtube is full of videos as showing them to be decent/capable.

I'd rather have a Subaru Forester though.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by red_dog007
Those things with the 19:1 off-road ratio are actually quiet capable little vehicles.
Motortrend took one out and it was able to putt around with the big boys, and youtube is full of videos as showing them to be decent/capable.

I'd rather have a Subaru Forester though.
Wow I really had no idea. I will have to go check out the videos now. I knoow there is a lift for them but it is only like 2". Like I said it is ok for what it is. I am with you though. I was actually looking for a WRX to buy. For what I do with it, it would be perfect. If I want to do anything big I have my XJ and my brother has 2 solid axle broncos.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Irongrave
i wonder why. and yet toyotas with know issues are ranked higher. CR is a paid off joke
That's always been the case... Consumers always hammers American vehicles. I think that American cars have improved recently but Conusmers hasn't caught on. I have also heard that they are paid off.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thorguy57
Wow I really had no idea. I will have to go check out the videos now. I knoow there is a lift for them but it is only like 2". Like I said it is ok for what it is. I am with you though. I was actually looking for a WRX to buy. For what I do with it, it would be perfect. If I want to do anything big I have my XJ and my brother has 2 solid axle broncos.
May bad, I thought that the article was Motortrend, but this is what I was reading.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...riot/index.htm
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM

My parents currently own a 2008 jeep liberty with the full soft-top sun roof that extends nearly the entire roof line(very nice) They got it brand new with 2k on the tach because they loved the 97 Xj we have had in the family for so long. It was my brothers for 7 years and i just bought it off him for $1000 a few months ago. She's currently got over 250k on the tach and still drives like a dream!

The 08 liberty drives and handles very much like a typical SUV. Not very tight around corners and smooth over the bumps, which is just fine to me. The interior is filled with box-like lines, sort of a plastic-like feel, and is fairly cramped, but with about 30k on the tach it's handled quite a few trips up to the snow-filled Sierra mountains and over the passes with no probs. Only got her stuck in the snow once after my dad backed into a snowdrift at our cabin, and this was with street tires! I tell them to get at least a good set of a/t tires but they just like the way it was from the dealer :P

Overall it's a good vehicle, and the service center has been great to answer all their problems. I believe my family will be with jeep for awhile.