Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to the jeep world

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to the jeep world

I have finally purchased a toy! Its a lovely 90 xj with 209k on the clock. Its an automatic with the straight 6 in it. Paid 500 for it. Its mainly going to be my recreational vehicle. I do have a question though, 4wd is inop, cruise control is inop and there is a rough idle. I'm assuming its all caused by the same vacuum leak, right? The right axle isn't locking so thats why i'm assuming is a vacuum concern.
It also has a hole under the rear seat that i'm going to weld up.

I love all the info on this site. Its such a handy tool for a new xj owner. I will posting pics up very soon. I've never went offroading before so i want to get my 4wd working so i can give it a shot! Just wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to wheeling!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hello and welcome to the forum. I`m still pondering any type of connection for the 3 things you mentioned. I know the cruise control and axle shift motors are vacuum activated but don`t know if they share a common point. Vacuum is always a good guess with rough idle. Can you access the computer trouble codes and see if anything shows?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

welcome! i had a 90xj just like yours. have you checked the vacuum plug on the axle right by the front right tire? mine always came off... good luck!!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

welcome from north Jersey!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks guys. Between work and rain, i havent had any time to check out the vacuum leak. I'll definitely check that vacuum plug, thanks for the tip. I don't have a way to check the computer for codes. I'm not too worried about it just yet, I'll be working on it this weekend though. I'm going to hopefully fix majority of the concerns this weekend, then weld up the whole under the rear seat and then i can start with a lift and tires.

Thanks again guys!