Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to Jeep.. and Overheating??? LONG STORY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation New to Jeep.. and Overheating??? LONG STORY!!!

I know you guys have read and sourced this situation many times. I read through the forums on advice and did just that sort of 2 things. Here my story goes.

I have a '95 Cherokee base 4.0 Automatic 4x4 with 121K on the odometer. I picked it up from the original owner who took care of it.. My situation is, It is running hot as per the gauge @ 3/4. the truck sat for 2 years without running.

Before this she didn't overheat or run hot before replacement maintenance as you do when you buy something. I replaced the stock 195* theromostat with a 180, new radiator 2 row, upper and lower main hoses, drain and filled with Peak antifreeze, and new temp sensor in the back of the head for the gauge package conversion.

I burped* the cooling system to rid off all the air and let it idle.. 210* and everything was fine.. Then I went to drive it and got stuck in traffic and the needle crept to the 3/4 mark right before the red. I put the heater on and the gauge level started to go down.. Drove back home and checked again. Found out the aux fan fuse was blown.. Replaced, checked fluid and drove again.. Same scenario.. I got home and removed the low temp thermostat and found it to be faulty.
I bolted everything together, and let it run.. this time the gauge stayed at 210.. Drove it and it was fine. Aux fan still didn't come on, then let it sit.. It happened again.. The gauge crept up to the 3/4 mark. So I read and checked the Fan clutch for operation, it was intermittent so I installed and new fan clutch and relay for the AUX fan.. Had it idle in the drive way and it was a little bit after the 210 mark.. say 220* and never moved more than there.. I decided to drive it but when I got into traffic again.. It crept up to right before the 3/4 mark. I turned the A/C on to trigger the fan.. (Yes the fan works fine with the A/C on), and it cooled everything to the 210 mark or just shy above it.

The only thing left I have to do is maybe a full flush and a waterpump?? At this point with NO A/C why would the temp creep up at idle or in traffic? I plan on removing that stupid rubber shield (belly pan) which seems to keep heat in..

any help here would be great..

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited by forcefed44; 04-03-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The water pump may be illin'. Sounds like you've done everything else already.