Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Jeep!! (to me) Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 2x
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default New Jeep!! (to me) Couple questions

I just bought another XJ today!! It's an 89 Lerado with AW4, 242, 30/35, factory hitch, power everything, with some kind of lift on it. The girl said all she knew was something about spacers. It was dark so I couldn't really see to well, but I think it has 2" spacers up front. Didn't see anything in the rear, no blocks or shackles. Will look tomorrow when it's light out. Anyway to the questions, the "Check Antilock" light is on. When I press the brake pedal just barely there is a weird noise that comes front under the console. Might be coming from up front. Also I have to push the pedal down all the way before good stopping happens. I did the booster pressure test by pressing the brakes with the engine off. Built up pressure in the line and stayed on the pedal and started it. The pedal didn't get softer or anything. Is this the correct way or atleast one way the check? Any ideas on what could be causing this? Another issue is the dash lights do not work. Well, they worked during the test drive, but not after I paid for it hahaha. They told me that it doesn't always do it. I'm going to check the fuses tomorrow. Oh yea, the radio turns off as well when the lights go on. Also, how does the FT 4WD work? I assume I shouldn't use it on pavement and at high speeds. Or can I use it on pavement? I wouldn't use it unless it's snowin or icy ya know. Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

The noise in the console is the brake interlock. Will not allow trans to be shifted out of PARK unless the brake pedal is pressed. What you are hearing is the solenoid releasing the shifter lock...no worries. Normal. That is unless it's REALLY loud.

CHECK ANTILOCK is a sign that there is some thing wrong with the ANTILOCK...not necessarily the brakes themselves.
The brakes will work fine w/o the anti-lock aspect. Somewhere there is a blocked signal from the wheel sensors.

WAIT!!! Anti-lock in an 89??? Did they have ALB's in 89?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 2x
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

89 was the first year they used ABS. I don't have to press the brake to shift from P either. Could the noise I hear be the pressure modulator?