Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New guy, bypassing the intro for some tech questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New guy, bypassing the intro for some tech questions...

Thanks for a seriously NICE site! I just bought a '95 2 door XJ - 2wd converted to 4x4... but it's not quite done yet. It's a 5spd, 4.0.

1a. The PO doesnt have the 2/4hi/4lo selector hooked up to the transfer case. He gave me a little rodto connect them, but it does not fit.... Too long. Apparently the little connecting rod is different on the auto and 5speed? If so, where can I find the proper one so I can get the 4wd working?

1b. PO has not got the front driveshaft hooked up. Missing the two U-clamps and bolts. Where can I find those? Sorry if I'm not calling it the right thing.

2. After driving it home today at 80mph for 2 hours, I noticed a small drop of tranny fluid on the bottom of the transmission pan. Nothing major. Just cant figure out how to check the fluid level???

3. I locked the drivers door for the first time tonight. When I went outside to unlock it, it will not open for NOTHING. Not from outside, not from inside. Any idea how to get it open? Climbing in the passenger side sucks.

Thanks in advance for any info you all have!
DWR

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 04-28-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: EDIT out word filter bypass (KICKA$$)
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

id go junk yard for the linkage you need, and they are u joint straps. found at any parts store or you can convert them to true u bolts, see this thread...
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...version-28141/
works for the front too....
should be a fill plug on the transmission, fluid just .has to be up to there. check the torque on the tranny pan bolts.
as far as the door goes ummm....id try to remove the door panel and unlock that way, then fix what ****ed up.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Lever

Is the transfer case in 2wd? I just wanted to know were the tc lever was. The bolts and straps for the front driveshaft for the diff are available at most auto parts stores. I am not shur about the tc yoke, may have to go to dealer.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Default !

Originally Posted by tannerp89
id go junk yard for the linkage you need, and they are u joint straps. found at any parts store or you can convert them to true u bolts, see this thread...
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...version-28141/
works for the front too....
should be a fill plug on the transmission, fluid just .has to be up to there. check the torque on the tranny pan bolts.
as far as the door goes ummm....id try to remove the door panel and unlock that way, then fix what ****ed up.
Thanks for the assist on what to call them. I hate sounding like a fool. I'll check the autoparts store for the straps tomorrow. BTW, it's for the front Driveshaft.

Also found the AX-15 fluid change DIY. I'll check it out tomorrow and hope it's the pan bolts leaking a little and not a seal.

Also managed to figure out the door. I sat out there with the key and went 'lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock - OPEN!" Lucky, or is this some kind of safety thing? The door sags just a bit, and you have to slam it hard to get it to shut all the way. It opens easy from the outside, but inside you have to reaaaaally pull the handly to the point I'm afraid to break it.

Originally Posted by duncan0668
Is the transfer case in 2wd? I just wanted to know were the tc lever was. The bolts and straps for the front driveshaft for the diff are available at most auto parts stores. I am not shur about the tc yoke, may have to go to dealer.
Yessir. The case is in 2wd now. Maybe I can sneak a picture up of the selector lever and TC rod so you can see how far off they are.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Your new here.. i'll give you a break. Dont bypass the potty mouth filters as this is a family friendly site. Thanks..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Your new here.. i'll give you a break. Dont bypass the potty mouth filters as this is a family friendly site. Thanks..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Thanks you. My appologies fellas, I didnt realize it was a kid-friendly site. Still much appreciate the info.