Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to The Forum and Stoked!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 FI
Default New to The Forum and Stoked!

Hello,

I'm a proud new owner of a Jeep Cherokee Sport

I bought it with 163K miles on it for 2K it's just straight factory. According to the carfax report it's only had one owner who lived in WI the entire time and on average he put about 12K miles on it a year, he took it in on every scheduled visit and had regular maintenance. When I bought it I took it to Firestone and had them do a total check over.
Then I had the back brakes totally replaced with new calipers, pads etc.

Firestone made a bunch of suggestions but of course they cost a tone of money to have that done. Most of it was very basic like have the front brakes done in a month or two, high mount brake lights, revers light, a new battery installation, the corrosion protection etc.

I would like to make this more off road ready and fun to drive in the winter but at the same time would like to do it myself as much as possible to save money etc. or to work with a mechanic to learn and to have someone with the know how on site.

My questions are this.

1. How can I get a total inspection done with a list of what needs to be replaced 1st and what I can get a way with using for such and such period of time.

2. How safe each component of the car is? Struts etc.

I just have this fear that the mechanic is going to be like, O, yeah! A list... Sure thing pall... well first of all everything is screwed and has to be replaced....Cha Ching!

You know what I mean...

Is there a list of things that one should replace after so many miles... Also if I'm thinking about doing a small lift, should I just replace shocks, struts etc. when I do that? What kind of money am I looking at spending on upgrading my jeep and are there cheaper ways to do it.

I'm as green as they come but would love it if someone would reach out a helping hand to information etc.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

welcome aboard let the fever begin
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Default a little more

I more or less would like to restore this jeep to it's newest possible condition with upgraded off road capabilities and painted all one color to look bad ***.

I would like to know where the best place to start would be, if I was doing this on a budget wile also using it as my daily driver, piece by piece.

Like one week I replace this and then next this and that... With in a year basically I would have a totally rebuilt new 1996 Jeep Cherokee sport.

Anyone know what I would be looking at spending???

Also what parts I should concentrate on replacing that are the most important to performance and reliability!

Thank you for all your help in advance....
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Any tips you can give me or help you can advise me on regarding my post??? Thanks and glad I found this place
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the previous owner had all scheduled maintenance work done and kept up with any needed repairs, you might not need to do anything right away.

Usually, when I buy a used car, I change fluids and do a tune up. It's also a good idea to check out the brakes, hoses, belts and grease any greaseable fittings. Look for any uneven tire wear and pay attention to any unusual noises.

I agree that you need to be wary of service centers if you don't know and trust the people. They make money by fixing cars and will sometimes make the most of an inspection.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

the first new thing you need to buy is a manual at the auto parts store haynes is good it will tell you alot about your new toy and what to check and where it is
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

u could prbly get a 1 3/4" Budget Boost at csloffroad.com

also wondering if u got it frm up north in WI cause i'm just wondering how much rust is on it... and r u in WI by the way?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

also fill in more in fo about you xj in the forum it help the people here help you
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes there is quite a bit of rust. Yes I do live in Wisconsin as well. That would also lead me to more questions as to what I should look at replacing due to rust damage and how can I tell if it just looks rusted or if it needs replacing. Again thanks for bearing with my none mechanical sense. Though I know how to do other mechanical type things I just have never done cars... Though with my new jeep and desire to learn I know I can do this with the help of my new friends here.... thank you, thank you thank you.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

if you touch it and it flakes off, a huge chunk falls off, your finger can go rite through it, if the paint looks bubbly in some spots. then its rust were in WI r u, up north or down south
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

forgot 2 say, there is a product that can convert the rust if it isnt already in one of the above stages. its called Gempler's rust converter

http://www.gemplers.com/list.aspx?SK...|S||4259573215

it also has a how to video on everything u need to know and it works pretty goo too
Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM

I live in the fox valley mate. why are you wisco??? The body of the car has a no rust that I've seen. Underneath is rusty but nothing that is falling off... I also have a older 95 jeep that the engine went back or the trans went. That one is rusted straight through the floor but I kept it in the garage to use for parts.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

i'm way up north in Eagle River, im pullin the motor Tranny and TC on a 93 xj and i think it would be in worse shape than ur 95 lol
Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks for the type on the rust converter. This will help clean everything up nicely. can I apply that to basically everything underneath the car??? Do I need to paint it after or will this just give clean everything up to make it easier to change parts and view components??? Thanks again mate..
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

ya im sure u can put it on everything underneath but it costs $50 a gallon and u have to do 2 coats of it so, and it is recommended to paint it afterwards.

Quick Reply: New to The Forum and Stoked!