Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New compressor and drier

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New compressor and drier

Hi all - new to the forum, first post. I have a 2001 XJ and the AC hasn't worked for close to 10 years now. When I short the low side port the clutch does not engage. Thinking about just going ahead and replacing the compressor and drier, then taking it to a shop for a vac and fill. Anyone have any thoughts on these Amazon parts? No reviews on Amazon but seems like a heck of a deal.Thanks in advance

Last edited by Willys55; 07-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

You should type in the part numbers or put the link, then maybe someone can respond to the parts....

As for replacing 2 items on an A/C system and doing a vac and fill i do not think that it might be that easy... After 10 years i would probably flush the system, fill and add dye.. Let it run for a while and then you can see what needs to be replaced besides the 2 items that should be replaced.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I can't see any links in your post either, but check Rock Auto for part numbers and then check Ebay, Amazon, and Google for the best price

Replace any and all o-rings that you can, then assemble it and pull vacuum on it to make sure it's not leaking. If the vacuum holds, add dye and compressor oil, and fill the system with refrigerant

Look at the condenser in front of the radiator, if it is plugged up or dented up they are fairly cheap and easy to replace and you might as well do it while the system is empty
Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I can't see any links in your post either, but check Rock Auto for part numbers and then check Ebay, Amazon, and Google for the best price

Replace any and all o-rings that you can, then assemble it and pull vacuum on it to make sure it's not leaking. If the vacuum holds, add dye and compressor oil, and fill the system with refrigerant

Look at the condenser in front of the radiator, if it is plugged up or dented up they are fairly cheap and easy to replace and you might as well do it while the system is empty

good stuff...

Last edited by nujeepguy; 07-16-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There an HF standalone vacuum pump on sale for $90, so with 20% off coupon you're looking at about $72 which is pretty decent. I have one of these and it works well for occasional home use, though I'm sure it would not hold up long being used constantly in a pro shop environment:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-61245.html

(As far as I can see this is not on the ever-increasing list of HF items excluded from their 20% off coupons.)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

When my evaporator failed because crud collected against that part from the exterior air intake, I replaced everything. I got a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set for the service.

It doesn't make sense to guess at the problem(s). Evacuate the system, shut off the valves and see if it holds or leaks. Squirt in some R134a to locate the leaks. I use an electronic sniffer.

Plan on always installing a new receiver/ dryer when replacing other parts.

Always wear eye and skin protection during R134a service. Follow all appropriate safety procedures.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Sorry I guess the picture didnt work. Here is the link to what I was thinking...

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Clutch-Complete-Repair-Cherokee/dp/B00JXYGWMO/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JXYGWMO&pd_rd_r=477J3WXDJ3FR632ZX7ZX&pd_rd_w=PRVdL&pd_rd_wg=kUjIr&psc=1&refRID=477J3WXDJ3FR632ZX7ZX https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Clutch-Complete-Repair-Cherokee/dp/B00JXYGWMO/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JXYGWMO&pd_rd_r=477J3WXDJ3FR632ZX7ZX&pd_rd_w=PRVdL&pd_rd_wg=kUjIr&psc=1&refRID=477J3WXDJ3FR632ZX7ZX
Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles

Thanks, good call on the condenser as well.

My thought is that since this has been out for 10 years, Im better off replacing the major components to save $$ then bring to a shop to vac, test, and fill.

I've just done very basic work on it so far and am concerned that AC work is over my head, esp if its this old.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rambler65
There an HF standalone vacuum pump on sale for $90, so with 20% off coupon you're looking at about $72 which is pretty decent. I have one of these and it works well for occasional home use, though I'm sure it would not hold up long being used constantly in a pro shop environment:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-61245.html

(As far as I can see this is not on the ever-increasing list of HF items excluded from their 20% off coupons.)
Nice - I just picked up a 3T jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench during their 4th of July sale. This price makes it tempting to give the full A/C job a tempt on my own.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
When my evaporator failed because crud collected against that part from the exterior air intake, I replaced everything. I got a vacuum pump and manifold gauge set for the service.

It doesn't make sense to guess at the problem(s). Evacuate the system, shut off the valves and see if it holds or leaks. Squirt in some R134a to locate the leaks. I use an electronic sniffer.

Plan on always installing a new receiver/ dryer when replacing other parts.

Always wear eye and skin protection during R134a service. Follow all appropriate safety procedures.
It won't hurt to replace the orifice tube, in case it has gotten clogged w/ crud.

The orifice tube is part of the condenser to evaporator liquid line
Old 07-13-2017, 06:03 PM

There are also good deals for vacuum pump / manifold combinations on eBay.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
There are also good deals for vacuum pump / manifold combinations on eBay.
Yea I had looked at a few briefly before. Very tempting.

Plan is this weekend to change the oil filter adapter gaskets and muffler. A/C is probably up next.