Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New 2001 Cherokee, Just a few small issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default New 2001 Cherokee, Just a few small issues

Hey everyone! I'm Grant, and about a month ago i bought my very first car, a Green 01 cherokee sport!! Its a really amazing car, looks and rides great, and has barely any problems!! There are a few things though:

1. driver door speaker does not work. may be wiring in either the door or bal/fade assembly, havent had time to check either as of yet. I am prepared to re wire, and/or replace the speaker.

2. The only way to operate the windows is from the driver door. all windows work, but none work from their respective switches. i though it was weird and have no idea where to start looking.

3. front and rear washer fluid sprayers inoperable. The rear one is just a detached tube, but spraying people behind me is kind of awesome, so this can stay. The front ones however, dont work at all. the lever inside works fine, and the wipers move (so i know that isnt the problem) but they just dont spray. there is no leakage, so i know there is no tube problem, so i think the pump is broken. I dont know where that is or how easy that is to fix though.

4. When i idle, the oil pressure gauge in the dash falls to 0, and the "check gauges" light comes on. I cant figure out why this is, but my friend told me ( he has a 94 cherokee) that it may be that the sensor for the gauge has something in its way. I dont know if this is a common problem or not, but it dosent sound too hard to fix. worst case is i have to change my oil pump.

5. In 4wd, when you turn the wheels more than i'd say 20 degrees (or more than required to make a decently sharp 90 degree turn) the wheel turns fairly violently. Im not sure weather this is a common occurrence in 4wd, or a problem with the front drive train.

I think that's it, its all i can think of right now. I know these are small, common issues, but i wanted them all to be in one place. If you know of any quick fixes, let me know, i'm a DIYer. Also if you know of any online resources that would help, that would be great!

Thanks,
Grant.

P.S.
Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the owner's manual? A PDF would do fine.

Last edited by gms0623; 10-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

ok...welcome to the forum
1. common jeep problem take the boot off the wiring its probably broken from bending back and forth with the door opening and closing.
2.another common jeep problem take your swirches out clean connections, etc...
3. pumps are in drivers side fender (under the fender) with both front and rear pumps can be accessed by removing fender liner.
4. yet another common jeep problem could be your sending unit is bad or you could actually be getting no oil pressure but check it with a mechanical gauge before doing anything.
5.are you on dry pavement in 4wd if so don't do that 4wd is not meant to be activated and used on dry pavement and there should be resistance in 4wd as the wheels are turned into drive wheels.

p.s. i have the entire factory service manual in pdf i could sell you and its actually for a 2001 from chrysler and it has all the diagrams/ specifications/ diagnostic charts/ etc...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay well i tried taking off the door panel but ran into some trouble... What do you do after removing all the screws?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM

You have to put them into a bucket or the center console so they don't get lost. LOL J/K There are still plastic fasteners you have to "pop" out. Be careful though they break easy, there is an upholstery puller that you can buy so you wont break all the fasteners. You can find it at a local auto store..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

I also have an 01 and ive noticed with
1. I just re wired my speakers and that solved the issue.
2. If you knee the controls on the door like fonzy the others work fine. Someone found a way to override that problem you may be able to find it in a search i havent tried it yet but soon will. All the others i havent come across. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
edit: check out this link its how to override the window lock switch which is the common problem https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/98-...roblems-60446/

Last edited by MurderedXJ; 10-04-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: found link
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM

i got a 2001 too. i had the same probs. the front driver speaker is easy to fix. pop off the door panel and with mine the negative wire was cut in half inside the boot. i just ran a new wire, spliced it to the same wire in the bundle of wires by ur feet behind tht little panel.
my switches do the same thing i cant figure it out
Old 10-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Engine: i6

Interestingly enough I bought an 01 with some of these problems as well. Like posted earlier after taking the screws out you can pop out the fasteners, I find it easier to start at the bottom left corner. The door handle has a plastic little clip you can pop off so you can take the panel off entirely and it'll be easier to work with. I also have the same problem with the window switches, some days they work, other days the lights on the passenger doors are off and only operate on the driver side. I assume it's a fault somewhere with the window lock but I have yet to look into it. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Year: 1998

welcome crystallake, I live in wadsworth not to far from ya. My 98 had the same problems as you have talked about. There is a thread about jumping two wires at the bottom kick panel by your feet. Just got my driverside spaeker to work cause the green wire that connects the power for the speaker was cut in half inside the wireloom between the door. Just ran a new wire and tada she worked. Next up on my list is my rear pinion seal. Im out by great america so if ya ever need help just p.m. me.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9 V8

Here's a fix for your power windows.Lock out override. It's more a question of when, not if, it will go out.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Year: 1988

easy fix run no doors lol jk my 88 did same thing so i took the doors off havent put em back on yet(5 months)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Welcome. I also have an '01 XJ and a lot of what you mention is VERY common. Most of the issues have been addressed, but I wanted to chime in and mention the oil pressure issue.

It's extremely common for these engines to run low oil pressure at hot idle. Dont assume it's your sending unit, I'm willing to bet it isnt. As someone else mentioned, check it mechanically. This should be priority #1 for you, I probably dont need to tell you what sort of bad things can happen to your engine if you run it with no pressure.

The 4.0 is a great engine but it does have its quirks. As I just recently experienced, the heads on this model year like to crack. (It's the 0331 head, and all 01's have them unless it has already been replaced). You may want to keep an eye on that, as it may be contributing to your low oil pressure. I just replaced my head gasket, head, valve seals, etc, and my oil pressure at hot idle has greatly improved. It wasnt at 0 before I did the work as you say yours is, but it's something I suggest you check out.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Year: 2001 Sport
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Chihlidog
Welcome. I also have an '01 XJ and a lot of what you mention is VERY common. Most of the issues have been addressed, but I wanted to chime in and mention the oil pressure issue.

It's extremely common for these engines to run low oil pressure at hot idle. Dont assume it's your sending unit, I'm willing to bet it isnt. As someone else mentioned, check it mechanically. This should be priority #1 for you, I probably dont need to tell you what sort of bad things can happen to your engine if you run it with no pressure.

The 4.0 is a great engine but it does have its quirks. As I just recently experienced, the heads on this model year like to crack. (It's the 0331 head, and all 01's have them unless it has already been replaced). You may want to keep an eye on that, as it may be contributing to your low oil pressure. I just replaced my head gasket, head, valve seals, etc, and my oil pressure at hot idle has greatly improved. It wasnt at 0 before I did the work as you say yours is, but it's something I suggest you check out.

As Chihlidog mentioned above, the 0331 cylinder head on 2001 4.0's is extremely prone to cracking between cylinders 3 and 4. This can be usually be checked by removing the oil filler cap and with a flashlight looking for coolant in the head. If you have low oil pressure it may be due to oil contamination and the rod/main/cam bearings may have been damaged and possibly require replacement. I, too. suggest you check this out. I speak "1st hand" as I have a 2001 Cherokee and am getting ready to do the cylinder head (and ?) replacement.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

So i bought the haynes manual... and it looks like head replacement is a really big job :P am i right? should i find some other jeepers with the know how?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 PM

I have a few of these problems as well in my 2000 sport, I'll have to try the paper clip trick for the windows, and my front speakers don't work so I'll check the wires in the boots in the doors, good info and good luck gms0623, hopefully it's not the head and just the SU. I'm in Gurnee too
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Boatanchor
As Chihlidog mentioned above, the 0331 cylinder head on 2001 4.0's is extremely prone to cracking between cylinders 3 and 4. This can be usually be checked by removing the oil filler cap and with a flashlight looking for coolant in the head. If you have low oil pressure it may be due to oil contamination and the rod/main/cam bearings may have been damaged and possibly require replacement. I, too. suggest you check this out. I speak "1st hand" as I have a 2001 Cherokee and am getting ready to do the cylinder head (and ?) replacement.
I totaly agree that the oil pressure is the #1 issue

I just replaced the head on my 2000....Oreilly had the head for 450.00 gaskets were 100+/-

Take your time and it's not too bad....you can leave the exhaust manifolds connected to the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by repair; 11-25-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: New 2001 Cherokee, Just a few small issues