Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Never-ending starting problem and a LOUD fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o
Default Never-ending starting problem and a LOUD fuel pump

My 87 xj has had problems starting for months now. Sometimes it stutters during the turn-over for a couple of seconds before a weak start, others it starts and then cranks up to about 3k rpm for several seconds,and gets stuck until it decides to even out, while sometimes it starts up no problem. I have had her in the shop several times for various reasons asking my mechanic to find the problem, and nothing has improved. What is wrong??? They are telling me now that it is a sensor on the back of the engine that is clogged. Is there any possibility of truth to this?
Also, I had my fuel pump replaced when it went out, and the one put in whined so loud it picked up on my phone calls, and screwed up my gas gauge. Took it back and had it replaced, SAME PROBLEM. Is this usual? Sux when you fuel pump is louder than your flowmaster sys.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

I had a problem with my alternator a while back. It did some of the things you're describing. Mine would start after it would sit for a day or two, but wouldn't start if I stopped at the corner store for 5 minutes. My fuel pump was loud also, I assume this was because not enough current was going to it. Mine would never idle funny though. That may be coinsedently your TPS.

I replaced the alternator and battery and all is well again! Starts up everytime (well almost, I need to clean my NSS) and my fuel pump is quiet again.

Yank your alt and any parts store will test it free of charge.

Good luck!

Last edited by XJ-Roz; 03-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
My 87 xj has had problems starting for months now. Sometimes it stutters during the turn-over for a couple of seconds before a weak start, others it starts and then cranks up to about 3k rpm for several seconds,and gets stuck until it decides to even out, while sometimes it starts up no problem. I have had her in the shop several times for various reasons asking my mechanic to find the problem, and nothing has improved. What is wrong??? They are telling me now that it is a sensor on the back of the engine that is clogged. Is there any possibility of truth to this?
Also, I had my fuel pump replaced when it went out, and the one put in whined so loud it picked up on my phone calls, and screwed up my gas gauge. Took it back and had it replaced, SAME PROBLEM. Is this usual? Sux when you fuel pump is louder than your flowmaster sys.
I'm having the same problem with noise. Very loud. Three replacements and still noise. I'm going to replace the tank Tuesday. This is crazy. I did have the tank boiled out by a radiator shop. Ranch Hand...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

try here for renix engine troubleshooting tips.... http://www.lunghd.com/On_Site_Tech.htm ...good luck!

....some people have had issues with airtex fuel pump quality....i think i used delphi when i replaced mine.

....for the fuel tank.....if you have replaced fuel components other than tank more than a couple of times, then fuel tank may be your problem, causing many other fuel system problems, every time!.....boiling doesn't stop the tank from eroding further! it just cleans out the gunk - and not that well if tank is original or quite old.....look here for some more info.... https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rep...e-4-0-a-50552/

Last edited by kbad; 07-11-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Default Dirty fuel tank

Thanks. After the tank was boiled out twice, it was coated by the radiator shop. BTW, After the first replacement, I noticed a white residue on the filter sock GIVING RISE TO THE IDEA that the tank has acid or coating in it. Once again, I replaced a new pump, drained out the old fuel and put in new fuel. The pump lasted about 10 minutes and then the exessive noise started, followed by poor preformance. Then I did: new fuel, new filter, new pump. It lasted about another 10-15 minutes with noise and poor performance. I did check the fuel pressure after the install and it wasw pumping 32 psi. I have not checked the pressure since it went south, but I will do it today. Tuesday, I will install the new tank, filterand pump. Any other ideas will be welcome...Ranch Hand
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM

since you're going through all this....once you get it sorted out and it's working, think about swapping your stock injectors for the dodge/chrysler ones (p/n 5277739 and 0 280 155 703)....it's plug and play giving you quad-ports for better fuel atomization and it will complete your fuel delivery system!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Red face Pump

Thanks, Kbad. Good tip. Ranch Hand...BTW, I think I'm going back to horses full time.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM

they all have maintenance issues!!!