Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Neutral Safety Switch

So about 4 years ago, my car started having issues with the reverse lights not coming on, although the bulbs were fine. I read some stuff online about removing and cleaning the neutral safety switch (rather than paying ~$250 for a new one). Upon opening it up, I saw a lot of grime which I proceeded to clean and reinstall. Much to my surprise it actually worked...for about 6 months. Then noticed the same issue so cleaned again but that time it didn't really fix it. Been like that ever since. The only time I can get the reverse lights to work is if I push kinda hard forward on the shifter once it's already in the reverse position (automatic '95 XJ 4.0L). I was considering buying a new switch, but it almost seems more of an alignment issue with the shifter and not so much the switch itself. Didn't really want to spend the money if it won't fix the issue. So basically wondering, is there a way to realign the shifter so the reverse position ends up being slightly forward of where it's currently at? Or maybe there is another solution. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Try adjusting yet....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n...sting-1188401/
Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Viper5
So about 4 years ago, my car started having issues with the reverse lights not coming on, although the bulbs were fine. I read some stuff online about removing and cleaning the neutral safety switch (rather than paying ~$250 for a new one). Upon opening it up, I saw a lot of grime which I proceeded to clean and reinstall. Much to my surprise it actually worked...for about 6 months. Then noticed the same issue so cleaned again but that time it didn't really fix it. Been like that ever since. The only time I can get the reverse lights to work is if I push kinda hard forward on the shifter once it's already in the reverse position (automatic '95 XJ 4.0L). I was considering buying a new switch, but it almost seems more of an alignment issue with the shifter and not so much the switch itself. Didn't really want to spend the money if it won't fix the issue. So basically wondering, is there a way to realign the shifter so the reverse position ends up being slightly forward of where it's currently at? Or maybe there is another solution. Thanks.
Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help, but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, as applicable, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help, but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, as applicable, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.
I have a '95 XJ Country 4.0L automatic. Don't know anything about the transfer case.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how to find which transfer case you have. Go up under the Jeep, look at the transfer case, there will be a little round tag on it with the part number stamped into it. It'll either be NP231 or NP242. See the pic for reference.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM

I'm having an adjusting issue, I tried the link above but no luck. I must have tried all possible positions for the nss and none seem to work. Any ideas.

Last edited by Wa.92xj.sport; 01-25-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:44 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Wa.92xj.sport
I'm having an dusting issue, I tried the link above but no luck. I must have tried all possible positions for the nss and none seem to work. Any ideas.
Take it off and apart and clean and lube it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Forgot to mention that I just finished refurbishing my NSS. Now only my backup lights work, which is why I went to repair it, and now it won't start. It sounds like it wants to but it just won't turn over. I have tried lining the lines up in neutral and I have tried the back up light adjustment trick, however the backup lights are on throughout the whole adjustment. And other ideas?

Last edited by Wa.92xj.sport; 01-25-2016 at 08:01 PM.