Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need urgent help! Renix 4.0 knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need urgent help! Renix 4.0 knocking

Well, My jeep developed a major problem tonight, and since I'm too lazy and upset to re-type anything I'll just copy what i wrote in my build thread "After I finished up the drag link I moved onto the oil change. So, I take off the oil filter, put the new one on [its a napa gold filter] Then crawl under, take out the drain plug, set it aside and go wipe my hands off.
So, then my mother calls and wants me to pick her up [in her truck not my jeep] , so I did.

After that was done, I go back to the garage and put in the new oil... forgetting that the drain-plug was still out... Fill it up with 5 quarts of 10w30 napa oil non synthetic, then get inside and start it... nothing sounds weird at first so I let it idle for 20 seconds., but then I noticed the oil pressure gauge didnt move.. it was still on 0,So immediatly I shut it off and go see whats up, then i noticed the oil plug on the ground and paniced, rushed under the jeep and shoved it back in, and tightened it.. So then i measured the old oil in my bucked, which turned out to be 7 quarts. So i run to the store in my moms truck, and buy some more 10W30, [Cobra oil since it was the only they had, but I figured since it was the same grade and both were non-synthetic it shouldent hurt...]

So after I thought I had everything right, put in the missing two quarts of oil, and made sure everything was tight I get back in start it again, it runs ok but the oil psi gauge was still on 0, so I rev it up to about 2K, and the gauge twitched a tiny bit, then went back to 0, so I shut it off and triple check everything, which is all ok. I get back in, start it again, and it starts knocking really bad... which i immediatly shut it back off, and checked everything AGAIN, which was all ok, everything was tight, oil was full, so.. I dont know what to do now...

What exactly would be causing this?... Is it something simple? is it something horribly major? I need to know ASAP because this is my DD and I have to leave for work in 2 days! which i need the jeep to drive the 250 miles to... Also, my jeep has 312,000kilometers [193,868 miles] and it was running A-1 up until this point. So, and my other question is. If it IS something major... Will the engine from my red jeep fit in with no problem?

Gold jeep: 1987 cherokee cheif, 4.0L Renix, 5spd, NP231, 312,000kms
Red Jeep: 1996 Cherokee sport, 4.0L High output, 5spd NP231, 303,000kms... "

Name:  IMG_0706_zps920d404f.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0710_zpscee5fa92.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  103.9 KB
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Why did u measure the oil by how much was in the drain pan? Use the dipstick thats what its for. Was the oil pouring out when you put the drain plug back in? My guess is u put 2 quarts in and are still 3 low and your engine isnt getting enough oil.

Starting it and revving it with no oil may have doomed u.

The ho engine will go in but u need to reuse all of your older jeeps sensors and intake. Also the distributor and flywheel need to be reused. Look up cruiser54, he has a solid writeup for swapping an HO block into a renix jeep.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

holy ****! worst case scenerio. If it comes down to it, im pretty sure you can swap short blocks. These guys will take care of you!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 03/28/13

Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by OleBlue
Why did u measure the oil by how much was in the drain pan? Use the dipstick thats what its for. Was the oil pouring out when you put the drain plug back in? My guess is u put 2 quarts in and are still 3 low and your engine isnt getting enough oil.
Well, my jeeps drivers side springs are shot so it leans pretty bad to the right, thus giving me a weird reading every time I tryed to measure it, so since my bucket conveniently had a gauge on the side that read quarts I simply read that it had collected 7 quarts. So I added the missing two since I know I put in 5 quarts. So 5 quarts of old oil and 2 quarts of new oil in the bucket.

But anywho, today I started it and no knock? It seems like its ok... My oil pressure gauge is weird though, it makes a little under what it useually did on the old oil, but now if I'm driving it, on acceleration it drops a little, and when I'm slowing down it rises? But it seems to be running ok, but just for a peice of mind, I'm going out and buying new oil [again] and I'm going to drain out the mixed 10w30, Jack the jeep up level and put in new oil so I know its not mixed or anything. hopefully that will solve my oil psi problem. and its not smoking or anything.. so
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Whoa!! Sure you didn't smack the oil sender when changing the filter?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Whoa!! Sure you didn't smack the oil sender when changing the filter?
Yes im pretty sure, i made sure it didnt whack against anything, and it went on pretty flawlessly.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Changing oil weights isn't gonna make a difference. Leave it alone and drive it.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Come on cruiser. You are slipping! You didn't ask what brand of filter he put on since now he's having lower oil pressure. Ok, I'll ask. What brand of filter did you put on? If you put a low quality brand of filter such as a fram or any other cheap filter that could cause low oil pressure. Our Jeeps seem to like Mopar, Wix or Napa Gold the best.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Come on cruiser. You are slipping! You didn't ask what brand of filter he put on since now he's having lower oil pressure. Ok, I'll ask. What brand of filter did you put on? If you put a low quality brand of filter such as a fram or any other cheap filter that could cause low oil pressure. Our Jeeps seem to like Mopar, Wix or Napa Gold the best.
It's you that's slipping, Robert. He stated Napa Gold in his first or second sentence!! Neener. Neener. LOL.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

It's you that's slipping, Robert. He stated Napa Gold in his first or second sentence!! Neener. Neener. LOL.
Oh CRAP!! I must be. I didn't even notice that! It must be my old age. LOL I think it's time for a nap a nap...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Oh CRAP!! I must be. I didn't even notice that! It must be my old age. LOL I think it's time for a nap a nap...
I'm 60 next year..... But, you know me too well!! LOL.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

I'm 60 next year..... But, you know me too well!! LOL.
DAMN You're old. LOL! Just kidding, I'm not that far behind you. I'll be 50 in Oct.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM

DAMN You're old. LOL! Just kidding, I'm not that far behind you. I'll be 50 in Oct.
Just started taking hand to hand close combat classes!!! Look out Sonny. Ill beat you with my cane.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Just started taking hand to hand close combat classes!!! Look out Sonny. Ill beat you with my cane.
You probably could even before you started taking the classes. After I broke my back for the second time it left me pretty screwed up. Then I had my back surgery that left me even worse. But we got to do what we got to do and play the hand that we were dealt.

Quick Reply: Need urgent help! Renix 4.0 knocking