Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some help with chirping/squeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default Need some help with chirping/squeling

So before I ask the question, yes I have looked through all the threads and have not been able to find anything. I went for some trail riding yesterday in my 95 xj. As soon as we got off the trails heading back I checked underneath, everything seemed fine. Well got a little bit down the road and it started squeaking on me. Didn't think it was anything too bad, just wet brakes. Well got in it this morning to go to work and I started getting a really bad chirping sound. From the inside it sounded like it was coming from the passenger wheel. ( by the way I have a RHD XJ ). I have also checked the engine bay but the chirping and squealing only happen while driving. Please help. I would hate for it to get worse. Thanks in advance for all the help
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

sounds like brakes or hub bearing gotta get the jack out and check b4 you have bigger troubles
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your serpentine belt tension.

You might have to crank it down a bit tighter especially if you just had it loose recently for repairs or replacement.
It can be quiet then all of the sudden....chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp......SQUEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!!

It can sound like a spun bearing and it's embarrasing and annoying as hell.

Last edited by jowint; 09-27-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
sounds like brakes or hub bearing gotta get the jack out and check b4 you have bigger troubles
I'm kinda new to the whole gear head stuff. What exactly would I be checking for. And I have a 6 and a half inch lift so I don't think I will need the jack lol. Thanks again
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jowint
Check your serpentine belt tension.

You might have to crank it down a bit tighter especially if you just had it loose recently for repairs or replacement.
It can be quiet then all of the sudden....chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp......SQUEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!!

It can sound like a spun bearing and it's embarrasing and annoying as hell.
How do I go about tightening it. Every time I ask for help with my belt on here some people make me feel retarded.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

You'll need the jack cuz you gotta get that wheel off the ground. once you do that, grab ahold of it, and see if there's and play or slop, it should be nice and tight. if not, pull it off and check your brake pads and rotor.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H/O

im thinking your serpintene is loose. make sure the belt only has about a half inch of play in each direction and if theres more tighten up the tensioner
Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman__xj
How do I go about tightening it. Every time I ask for help with my belt on here some people make me feel retarded.
Loosen the bolt on the center of the idler pulley, (little lone pulley near the power steering pump), then to tighten, turn the bolt tight at the top of the bracket near power steering pump that the idler pulley attaches to.
The top of this tightening bolt is threaded through the back of the bolt you loosened in the center of the pulley and this allows the whole pulley to slide up and down this bracket for adjustment. (cool huh?).
When finished adjusting-just re tighten the center of pulley bolt and take it for a ride....if it keeps doing it you may have to tighten the living dog squeeze out of the belt like I did with mine, but just do it at small increments- then test drive, and like someone else said about 1/2" of play, sometimes less in order to get it to stop screaming like a Banshee.

No question too retarded.

Last edited by jowint; 09-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

in the op first post he states in only happens when driving ,hubs amd brakes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Actually I had this problem before, if you hear it coming from just under the passenger side I think I know what it is. Check your exhaust clamps, a little wobble happens every now and then making a slight chirp, only when driving though. As far as tensioning your belts go theres 2 bolts on the back side of the idler pulley mount, kinda hard to reach, and then theres a fine tuning screw on the bottom side, in this case righty loosey (belt) lefty tightey, I recommend doing this when the engine is cool, kind of a tight squeeze.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 Renix

If it only happens while u r driving check for rocks between the backing plate and rotor. or it may be brake dust.. I see it all the time lol
Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

did you clean out your brakes after getting off the trail? Never a good idea to go right from trail back to normal driving and assume it is as clean as it was before. You could have something stuck in your brake like a rock, as stated above. Could even be a stick or something really odd that managed to get shoved in there.

I can't remember where that dust guard thing goes since I took it off at the first chance I had, but if it is in the right spot that may be holding something in the way.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 AM

Thanks to all.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
Actually I had this problem before, if you hear it coming from just under the passenger side I think I know what it is. Check your exhaust clamps, a little wobble happens every now and then making a slight chirp, only when driving though. As far as tensioning your belts go theres 2 bolts on the back side of the idler pulley mount, kinda hard to reach, and then theres a fine tuning screw on the bottom side, in this case righty loosey (belt) lefty tightey, I recommend doing this when the engine is cool, kind of a tight squeeze.
It's a right hand drive cherokee
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
in the op first post he states in only happens when driving ,hubs amd brakes
My belt squeeled and chirped only when driving, intermittently. Never did it while idling/ sitting still- only happened under load.
The fact he mentioned chirping, and squeeling which made me wonder if it was his belt...........dunno.

I would suggest he put it in neutral and rev the engine when the squeeling occurs to see if the noise changes/ gets worse or better to try to differentiate driveline vs belt drive noise but he may have figured it out by now.

I can tell you that mine would never act up while stationary and was so intermittent that I thought I would have it fixed then it would come back.
I tried a new idler pulley and belt and it still made the chirp/ squeel noises at times until I cranked the belt down really tight.

Last edited by jowint; 09-28-2011 at 08:12 AM.