Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need a radiator. Any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Need a radiator. Any advice??

Well, this past weekend we moved into our new house and since I needed my Jeep, the radiator decided to start leaking. FML. This coming weekend I'll be building my work bench and getting organized then the Jeep is coming in and getting torn apart. Cooling system maintenance performed in the past is fairly unknown to me so my plan is to replace the radiator, water pump, hoses and thermostat. I've been seeing mixed reviews of the CSF 2-row all aluminum rad so I was searching around and found this for less money, still no plastic tanks and good reviews.
Amazon.com: Champion Cooling, 2 Row All Aluminum Radiator for Jeep Cherokee, EC1193: Automotive Amazon.com: Champion Cooling, 2 Row All Aluminum Radiator for Jeep Cherokee, EC1193: Automotive
. If the pics are accurate it appears to be all brazed and welded too. I think that the CSF ones have pressed on tanks? Anyone used one of these radiators or have any other recommendations? I can't spend a pile of money on a radiator but I'm not buying crap either. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, looks good.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Stock radiator should do just fine. Not really a need to get an upgraded radiator. Replacing the coolant system is easy. I'd say the most complicated part is getting the ATF quick disconnect off. Make sure on the new radiator you don't damage the ATF fitting even the slightest nick on the lip will cause you to leak.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry, no way I'm going with another radiator with plastic tanks. Thanks for the advice on the trans cooler fittings, will keep an eye on them. I need to know if that Champion radiator is a decent one.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Don't be surprised when that one starts leaking in a week or 2.

Unless you plan on spending a "Pile" for an aftermarket stay with the stock ones like from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty $100.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, that sucks. Guess I'll just get one locally from Napa and call it good.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I read a lot of Amazon users reviewing the Champion all aluminum radiator poorly
I am still trying to find a reputable all aluminum unit vs the stock unit with plastic tanks, plastic nipple overflow/ which is why I need a new radiator

Has anybody bought a reputable 2-3 core Aluminum core radiator?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71
I read a lot of Amazon users reviewing the Champion all aluminum radiator poorly
^This, when it comes to the Champion, like Clint Eastwood said "Do you, feel lucky, well do ya ...", you might get a good one, but the odds are against it, and both fitment issues and leaks are common.

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71
Has anybody bought a reputable 2-3 core Aluminum core radiator?
Haven't had them personally, but I've heard Griffen and Flex-a-Lite are decent, but they are $500+ too. The CSF copper/brass 2-3 row rads are well built and only cost around $200, but don't cool much if any better than stock.

Unless you are running a stroker, forced induction, or a V8 swap, an OE style replacement (from autozone, advance, NAPA, etc. the OE one from the dealer isn't any better than those and costs about twice as much) is your best bet. The plastic tanks will eventually crack (but usually last 5-years plus), but you could buy 5+ OE-style rads for the price of one "good" all aluminum one, and if you get one with a lifetime warranty it will only cost you a couple gallons of coolant and an hour or so to swap it out when it eventually fails.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

easier to go back to autozone and get your money back or another radiator if a problem arises. More hassle if you order on line. In my case the original lasted 14 years. I consider that pretty good. my radiator cost $112
Old 06-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I would just get one at Auto Zone or if you don't want China then get one from Mopar.

NAPA sells the same Spectra as Auto Zone.

Don't know about you, but I've often needed radiators or alternators at night, after work, when NAPA is closed. AZ is open until 10:00PM here and always has this stuff in stock.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Default Ah, the never ending Cooling Discussion.. Here is my (good) story:

Bought El Burro two years ago. It had been front whacked. Enough to smash the LF corner and radiator and blow the air bag. PO had it fixed. Mostly. But I have been bringing it up to goodness for two years. However, I wanted to refurb the whole cooling system this spring. Got into it and installed a high flow Hesco pump and Mr Gasket high flow stat. Took out the radiator to clean and inspect. Found it to be an all brass and copper CSF two row. Cleaned it out real well and reinstalled it. Also installed a new spiral blade fan. And on the belt driven fan I installed a new clutch. Did a thorough engine block flush too.

This thing runs amazingly cool! In fact, I took out the electric fan a few weeks ago to address a trans hose leak at the flex crimp. Got the hose replaced and still have not installed the fan. Careful assessment of temps shows that it runs COOLER under my driving conditions WITHOUT the electric fan. I have been on lots of steep miles over 90 ambient. Now, in all honesty, if I were doing a lot of hot weather stop and go traffic, or wheeling in Arizona, I would probably need that fan. But over 25 or 30 MPH, the fan is mostly just in the way of the airflow in my opinion.

After the cooling system refurb and performance testing, I have completely cancelled my plans to replace the two row radiator.

Now, this is only one guy's story. Put it in the mix for what it is worth.

TWO DOOR WAGONEER:
Attached Images  

Last edited by HappyTrails; 06-09-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i bought the same one on ebay. It started leaking after 13 months. The seller wouldn't reply to emails, he closed up shop before I could make any headway with regards to a Paypal.ebay complaint.

Lesson learned.
Avoid Ebay/Shamazon....and Champion Radiators.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Wow, thanks to all for the replies. Very helpful. I've seen the offerings from Flexalite, Griffin, etc. for $500+. Can't afford that or justify it. Guess I'll be going with replacement parts from NAPA. HappyTrails - I can find offerings from CSF that fit an XJ that are copper/brass like yours, but they're only for use with a manual trans. Any chance yours has a part # on it anywhere? Thanks.

Last edited by MWildmann; 06-10-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by MWildmann
I can find offerings from CSF that fit an XJ that are copper/brass like yours, but they're only for use with a manual trans. Any chance yours has a part # on it anywhere? Thanks.
I have a CSF model 2671 3-row radiator on my 2000 with an automatic transmission. I'm happy with it so far, but I have less than 3000 miles on it. It remains to be seen how it holds up.

I went with the all metal radiator because I replaced several plastic radiators over the course of a few years because of cracks and leaks. Even if the Autozone radiator has a lifetime warranty, to me it's still a pain in the butt to replace it every year. I consider my time to be worth something, and I would rather not spend it on replacing parts that shouldn't be designed to fail in the first place.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

I just got an OEM one since the last one lasted 15 years.

I would also dump your coolant and flush it a few times. I got almost a gallon of silt/rust out of mine after collecting all the 12 gallons of mostly distilled water I put through it over 2 days. Dump, fill, drive for 30 minutes, dump, fill, repeatx6

Quick Reply: Need a radiator. Any advice??