Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need quick brake help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6
Default Need quick brake help!!

Just installed new rear brakes and the new drums aren't going on very well.
One side seems alright, but a bit too snug even though the adjuster is all the way closed. The other side I can only get the drum on about half way and then its so snug I'd have to wack at it to seat it.

I put in all new hardware, new shoes, and new drums. Both sides are connected the same, and the shoes are seated in the cylinder.

I've tried wiggling stuff and it seems to make some difference here and there. Should I just keep at it? If I bolt the wheels on and drive it around awhile will it work itself out?

The drum on the problem side doesn't spin at all when on.

Have to go to work in the morning. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by OldLaredo; 06-23-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: worded wrong
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 AM

Loosened the emergency brake all the way and made sure it goes back and forth. Put the wheels on and did the forward/backward full stop about 8 times. Driver rear seems okay, spins about one revolution with a good shove. Passenger rear still sucks, but it actually moves now.

If I drive it to work tomorrow (about 3 miles) will it wear the shoes too much possibly? I can maybe work on it more at lunch, and do more forward/reverse braking. Just don't want to burn up new shoes on the first day.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

are the shoes on the right way? they look similar but there is usually a front and rear for each wheel
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by timberwolf
are the shoes on the right way? they look similar but there is usually a front and rear for each wheel
Yeah. Small shoes towards the front.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Having the shorter primary (forward IIRC) reversed I don't think would do that. On my 90 it took two or three times for them to get the width of the shoes right. The computer was worthless. They had the wrong axle. I'm going to sugjust you don't drive it unless you still have your old shoes. This might help with your axle.

Well Phit! I can't find it. You likely need narrower shoes.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Having the shorter primary (forward IIRC) reversed I don't think would do that. On my 90 it took two or three times for them to get the width of the shoes right. The computer was worthless. They had the wrong axle. I'm going to sugjust you don't drive it unless you still have your old shoes. This might help with your axle.

Well Phit! I can't find it. You likely need narrower shoes.
The thing is the one side works fine. That's what's messing with me. I even checked the part numbers online before going in to the store.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

You might be able to measure the worn width on your drum, and compare that to the shoes. My 90 with I think a Dana 35 takes the wide ones, 2-1/2, ? and they kept giving me something like 1-3/4.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

If it's all the way home at the cylinder, and the wheel is loose......man you got me. If the drums were not turned, maybe it's catching at the edge?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
If it's all the way home at the cylinder, and the wheel is loose......man you got me. If the drums were not turned, maybe it's catching at the edge?
New drums.

At this point I have to just leave it. I've gotta work early. I'll check back tomorrow with an update and to see if there's any more suggestions.

Basically I put on all new stuff on both sides, but one side doesn't want to turn. I also had a ***** of a time taking the drum off that side, which made me thing e-brake. I might loosen that some more tomorrow and see what it does. Maybe be getting new cables soon.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

+1 on the ebrake.

I'd measure the other side shoe to shoe diameter and compare it to the other side. Then fiddle with it until its less or the same, could be a spring jammed or a shoe not seated all the way on a pin. I've lightly pressed the brake petal on vehicles before to get everything to pop into place, not sure if that is a good idea though... but I was dealing with stubborn 1 ton axles.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 AM
CF Veteran

Take it easy. Heat accumulates. Once I needed to stop three times with a sticky caliper on a Toyota with just a 17 mile commute...
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Woo. She was definitely smoking a bit when I got to work. Think I figured out the issue.
The cylinder doesn't move at all. I should have known something was up when it didn't automatically push out when I removed stuff. Come to think of it the other side didn't either but that ine seems to have adjusted fine from driving. Regardless ill be putting on new cylinders and I suppose running some new line from the looks of the connections.
Don't really have the time or money for this but oh well. At least ill actually have functioning rear brakes (I hope)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Heh. So I just put the old shoes and drum on with just the retaining springs and adjuster wheel on (to keep everything tight and centered). I considered leaving everything out, but worried the seized cylinder might randomly work again and shoot brake fluid all over heck.
Absolutely no difference in braking power. Seems like I've been running pretty much entirely with the front brakes since i got the thing. (Jury's still out on whether or not the driver rear actually works. Seems like it adjusted itself, so that's a maybe.

The drum on that side (new stuff) gets a little warm from driving. Anyone know how warm drums get from say just going across town?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Not very. Depends on the town.